This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7476 / 51°44'51"N
Longitude: -1.3988 / 1°23'55"W
OS Eastings: 441604
OS Northings: 205608
OS Grid: SP416056
Mapcode National: GBR 7XM.F5H
Mapcode Global: VHC09.PBWM
Entry Name: The Great Kitchen Approximately 40 Metres South of Harcourt House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 17 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053135
English Heritage Legacy ID: 252408
Location: Stanton Harcourt, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX29
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Built-Up Area: Stanton Harcourt
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Stanton Harcourt
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STANTON HARCOURT HARCOURT HOUSE
21/324 The Great Kitchen approx. 40m.
12/09/55 of Harcourt House
(Formerly listed as The Great
Kitchen, Harcourt House)
Kitchen. c.1485, with possible earlier origins. Coursed limestone rubble;
conical stone slate roof surmounted by lead griffin. Tower of square plan and
open to roof. Front of tower has hood mould over three C15 two-light
trefoil-headed windows. Gargoyles to cornice beneath crenellated parapet; stair
turret in left corner has slit lights and similar parapet. Offset buttresses to
left; rear wall has hood moulds over two C15 two-light trefoil-headed windows
and over a wide blocked 4-centred arched doorway. Now entered via C15 doorway in
rear wall of Manor Farmhouse (q.v.). Interior: left side wall has 3 ovens, one
with medieval door, an aumbry and a C15 plank door with decorative iron hinges
to stone newel stairs. Wall opposite has 2 screen walls flanking spaces for two
fires. The smoke escaped through 2 rows of six pointed louvred vents in each
bay, still situated under the eaves of the roof, which were regulated from a
passage behind the battlements. Squinches support an octagon which takes the
roof: head corbels in each corner support arch-braced squinch arches with
traceried spandrels and eight arched ribs meeting at the apex; 3 tiers of arch
bracing to purlins. One of the finest medieval kitchens in existence. Formerly
attached to the service end of the medieval manor house, demolished c.1750.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.782-3; National Monuments Record; M.
Wood, The English Medieval House, 1965, pp.251, 253. and plate 20A; Bodleian
Library, M.S. Top, Oxon, for late C18 and C19 drawings).
Listing NGR: SP4160605607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings