This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9045 / 51°54'16"N
Longitude: -1.5803 / 1°34'49"W
OS Eastings: 428971
OS Northings: 222971
OS Grid: SP289229
Mapcode National: GBR 5RS.H9Q
Mapcode Global: VHBZF.KDFB
Plus Code: 9C3WWC39+RV
Entry Name: Former Stables Immediately to South East of Sarsden House
Listing Date: 27 August 1957
Last Amended: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053277
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254085
Location: Sarsden, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
Civil Parish: Sarsden
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Churchill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
7/190 Former stables immediately to
SE of Sarsden House
(Formerly listed as part of
27.8.57 Sarsden House)
Stables, latterly used as bake house and laundry, in process of considerable
renovation and conversion to domestic use at time of resurvey (August 1987).
Probably early to mid C17, extended early C19 with extensive late C20
alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble, more regularly coursed to C20
rebuilding; stone slate roof temporarily removed at time of resurvey. Forms
basic L-plan around courtyard; main range to west with north range and short
south range largely rebuilt in C19. One storey and attic. Through-passage to
left of main range has chamfered 4-centred arch with dripstone and plank door
with internal strap hinges to front and smaller segmental-arched doorway
opposing to rear. Four 2-light chamfered segmental-arched mullion windows with
hollow spandrels and dripstones, one to left and 3 to right of doorway, left
with leaded latticed lights and 2 to centre with cast-iron glazing bars.
Formerly a wide inserted entrance to left of right window but this removed and
wall rebuilt at time of resurvey. Gabled leaded dormer in roof slope to rear and
truncated bread oven to back wall. Interior. Straight-flight staircase behind
doorway has half-closed string to bottom. Panelled window shutters, plank and
panelled doors, C19 cast-iron fireplaces and remains of C19 laundry to main
range, several of trusses and most of rafters being removed at time of resurvey.
The stables are shown in an engraving by M. Burghers in White Kennett's,
Parochial Antiquities of Ambrosden and Burcester (1695), opp. p.683 where they
are depicted with 5 gabled full dormers to front.
Listing NGR: SP2897122971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings