This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9049 / 51°54'17"N
Longitude: -1.5807 / 1°34'50"W
OS Eastings: 428946
OS Northings: 223007
OS Grid: SP289230
Mapcode National: GBR 5RS.H6B
Mapcode Global: VHBZF.KD72
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 15 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 254082
Location: Sarsden, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Sarsden
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Churchill
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St. James
Parish church. 1760, extended 1823 by G.S. Repton, restored 1896 by W.E. Mills.
Limestone ashlar to north and east sides and porch, regularly coursed and
dressed rubble to south, rendered to west; stone slate roof with coped verges on
projecting kneelers. Nave; chancel; transepts, north-east vestry and south-west
porch. Nave. North side has C18 or c.1823 round-headed windows with moulded
architraves, plain imposts and projecting keystones to left and right of central
6-panel doors with similar architrave and leaded fanlight, approached by flight
of 3 steps. South side has 3 round-headed windows like those on north but with
plain architraves. Porch (1823) to south-west corner has moulded cornice and
embattled parapet. Paired pointed Gothic windows with dripstone to east side,
blind pointed opening to south side and pointed doorway with Gothic panelled
door approached by flight of steps on west side. Moulded impost band to pointed
doorway and blind opening and moulded plinth to doorway continued round to other
sides. Blind mock gun-loop above doorway to west. North transept (1823) has 3
stepped round-headed windows (1896) to north wall and gabled bellcote (also
1896) with round-headed opening. Single-light round-headed window in east wall.
South transept has round-arched leaded window with inner round-headed arch
linked to outer by transoms and radiating mullions near top of arch. Hip-roofed
vestry in angle to east has single-light round-headed window in south wall.
Chancel with chamfered plinth has semi-circular hoodmould over low-relief roundel
with Maltese cross. East wall has round-headed window like that in south
transept; stone cross to gable. Interior. Considerably restored 1896. Dado
panelling may be partly 1760 but mainly late C19. Nave benches, choir stalls,
octagonal font and wooden pulpit all late C19. Plastered barrel-vaulted roofs to
nave, chancel and transepts with plain quadripartite vault to crossing. C19
communion rails incorporate C18 barley sugar balusters with sprouting foliage
carving to bases. No monuments of note. No connection from main body of church
to porch. An engraving in Skelton shows the church, presumably before the
remodelling of 1823.
(Buildings of England: 0xfordshire: p752j Joseph Skelton: The Antiquities of
Oxfordshire (1823)", p59; Bodleian Library, Oxford: HS.Top.oxon. a.68, no.452)
Listing NGR: SP2894623007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings