This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7228 / 51°43'21"N
Longitude: -1.6431 / 1°38'35"W
OS Eastings: 424747
OS Northings: 202732
OS Grid: SP247027
Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.Z9Z
Mapcode Global: VHC05.GYPP
Entry Name: Lockey House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1053384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253847
Location: Langford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Langford
Built-Up Area: Langford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Langford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
LANGFDRD CHAPEL LANE
6/96 Lockey House and attached
12.9.55 (Formerly listed as Cotswold
House, latterly an inn, now reverted to domestic use. Probably C17, remodelled
1719 (datestone) for John Lockey and again in early C19. Uncoursed limestone
rubble, regularly coursed with quoins to front; stone slate roofs with coped
verges to main range. This has 3 short hip-roofed ranges projecting at
right-angles to rear. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows to first floor, 18-paned
glazing bar sashes (second and fourth from left horned) in moulded stone
surrounds replacing narrow segmental-headed windows of 1719. Two similar 9-paned
glazing bar sashes in moulded surrounds replacing 4 segmental-headed openings on
ground floor. Central segmental-headed doorway replaced by moulded round-arched
stone surround with projecting keystone; panelled door with St. Andrew's cross
pattern to bottom panel and semi-circular fanlight. Two C19 flat-roofed dormers
to raised eaves. Left gable end has 2 ogee-arched pigeon nesting holes and ledge
below attic window. Datestone "1719" above. Rear: 3 hip-roofed ranges with
projecting gullies each have an early C18 mullioned and transomed window on
first floor; infilled segmental-headed doorway to centre blocked by lean-to
(c.1948). Stone stacks with red brick shafts to corners of main range, probably
C18. Interior. Central narrow stone-flagged entrance hall has dado panelling.
Early C18 dog-leg staircase to rear has moulded handrail. Square newels and
turned balusters to closed string. Panelled window shutters and encased,
plastered ceiling beams to front rooms. Small room to left of staircase had
fireplace with early C18 stone mantel-shelf; contemporary inset wall cupboard
with shell niche. Panelled doors throughout. First floor: front rooms have
exposed ceiling beams. Tie beams of earlier roof visible to rear. Attached early
C19 spear-headed iron railings on low stone wall to front have superscription
"C.HART MAKER WANTAGE". During the house's period as an inn (c.1880-1926) the
whole of the first floor could be converted by the removal of partitions into a
single club room: it was here that the Langford Whitsun Club met for dinner.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p681; information from owners, Mr. & Mrs.
Kemp, May 1987)
Listing NGR: SP2474702732
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings