This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8132 / 52°48'47"N
Longitude: -3.007 / 3°0'25"W
OS Eastings: 332226
OS Northings: 324437
OS Grid: SJ322244
Mapcode National: GBR 75.VVF6
Mapcode Global: WH8B3.SK95
Entry Name: St Winifred's Well
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1054245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 255700
Location: Oswestry Rural, Shropshire, SY10
Civil Parish: Oswestry Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: West Felton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
OSWESTRY RURAL C.P.
SJ 32 SW
St. Winifred's Well
(formerly listed as the Well House in West Felton C.P.)
Holy well and well house. Probably late C15/early C16 on earlier site, later additions and alterations. Well: regularly coursed dressed sandstone blocks; cottage: timber framed with painted brick infill, slate roof. Cottage is a single-storey T-plan with gable projecting over well. Framing: massive close-set vertical posts throughout with V-struts from collar to gable; boarded-over window to left of central boarded door on north side, integral yellow brick end stack to right with original shaped window-head below largely obscured by wooden lean-to. Well: consists of inner chamber over spring beneath cottage approached through narrow entrance to right; this inner chamber has a round-headed outer arch over low stone wall with moulded rectangular (? image) niche above, leading into a rectangular stone basin; this has a flight of four steps to each side and the water drains through a hole in the wall at the bottom end into a square basin below; this is also approached by steps to left and right and the water drains through a hole at its bottom end into the stream below.
Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey (July 1985) but said to contain an arch-braced collar beam roof in three bays with cusped struts forming quatrefoils and cusped wind braces. The well commemorates the miracle of a spring gushing forth on the spot where the body of the C7 Saint Winifred rested on its journey from Holywell to Shrewsbury; the present structure was probably built at the expense of Margaret, Countess of Beaufort, wife of Henry VII, who also re-built the larger pilgrimage centre at Holywell. A datestone said to be inscribed 1635 at the right of the entrance to the well's inner chamber was not visible at time of re-survey and there is no evidence to support the suggestion that the structure above the well was once a chapel.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 October 2016.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings