History in Structure

Renishaw Hall

A Grade I Listed Building in Eckington, Derbyshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.3025 / 53°18'8"N

Longitude: -1.3446 / 1°20'40"W

OS Eastings: 443775

OS Northings: 378594

OS Grid: SK437785

Mapcode National: GBR MZ17.PV

Mapcode Global: WHDF4.98Z2

Plus Code: 9C5W8M24+X5

Entry Name: Renishaw Hall

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79583

ID on this website: 101054857

Location: North East Derbyshire, S21

County: Derbyshire

District: North East Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Eckington

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Renishaw

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Tagged with: Historic house museum English country house Garden

Find accommodation in


SK 4378

Renishaw Hall


Country house. c1625 by George Sitwell, with alterations and
additions 1793-1808, principally by Joseph Badger of Sheffield,
and further alterations of 1908 by. Sir Edwin Lutyens. Ashlar
and coursed rubble coal measures sandstone, with slated pitched
roofs behind crenellated parapets with pinnacles. Irregular
plan, comprising a C17 central range, with late C18 and early
C19 ranges to east and west, together with domestic offices at
the western end of the house. North elevation. Seven bay
central range, set back, with canted three storey bay to centre,
with stacked glazing bar sashes in flush stone frames. Ground
and first floor openings sit beneath continuous stringcourses
which step up above window heads. These details are repeated
throughout the principal ranges of the house, with minor
variations. Gothic entrance porch by Sir George Sitwell, single
storey open flat roofed porch supported by square columns, with
inset trefoil ended panels. A shallow moulded frieze and
cornice, and crenellated parapet between barbed pinnacles. Two
bays either side of doorway have stacked pairs of glazing bar
sashes to all three floors with the remains of former C17 gables
incorporated in ashlar parapet with crenellations above.
Advanced seven bay flanking range to west, three storeys below
ashlar crenellated parapet, with stacked glazing bar sashes
below wedge lintels, and with a broad band course to the head of
the ground floor openings. Lower two storey four bay range to
west end, with stacked glazing bar sashes below wedge lintels
with a shallow parapet with a broad ashlar chamfered coping.
Garden elevation to south, asymmetrical, with eleven bays to
main ranges, and a five bay centre incorporating the remnants of
the C17 gabled house, with the two central bays of three storeys
set back with a quoined chimney breast dividing the two bays,
terminating in a cluster of three octagonal stone chimneys.
Three storeys, with glazing bar sash windows in flush stone
frames, as with the north elevation. Advanced two bays to west,
with first floor windows windows having been modified to imitate
double glazed doors, giving access to shallow curved iron
balconies. Further advanced four bay range to west, of two
storeys, with a panelled frieze between the ground and first
floor window openings. East range, the first bay of which has a
two storey canted bay window and a balustrade to the parapet;
two bays of two storeys to east and then, well set back, a five
bay two storeyed wing 1-3-1, the centre comprising a very broad
canted bay and with a doorway with a moulded surround to the
angle of the two ranges having a glazed door. Interior. The
central part of the house contains the core of the C17 house,
including the decorative geometric flagged floor to the entrance
hall, now completely open and with Tuscan columns to support the
upper floors. The Library, formerly the Great Parlour, has a
C17 panelled plaster ceiling and decorative frieze. The Dining
Room is by Badger, 1793, with an apse at one end, flanked by
pilasters, and with floral plaster decoration to the apse dome.
The Great Drawing Room is by Badger, 1803, also the Ballroom,
1808, with ceiling plasterwork containing the emblem of the
Prince of Wales, in whose honour the opening ball was given.
The Billiard Room, a lobby or anteroom to the Ballroom, was
remodelled by Lutyens in 1909. History. The house and its
parkland have been associated with the Sitwell family from the
early C17, the development of the estate reflecting the
influence of the family as ironmasters and colliery owners from
the C17 to the C20. The house has become famous through the
writings of the three children of Sir George and Lady Ida
Sitwell, Edith, Osbert and Sacheverell. Renishaw Park is
included in the Gardens Register for Derbyshire at Grade II*,
Item No 13.

Listing NGR: SK4377578594

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.