History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Chirbury, Montgomery, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5794 / 52°34'45"N

Longitude: -3.0915 / 3°5'29"W

OS Eastings: 326131

OS Northings: 298514

OS Grid: SO261985

Mapcode National: GBR B2.BPJG

Mapcode Global: WH7B3.HF1D

Plus Code: 9C4RHWH5+Q9

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 21 March 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257368

Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Chirbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SO 29 NE

8/43 Church of St. Michael

Monastic church, now parochial. Late C12 with early C13 aisles and west
tower of c.1300; chancel 1733 and whole restored 1871-2. Uncoursed and
roughly coursed limestone rubble with pink sandstone ashlar dressings;
red brick chancel on rubblestone plinth; slate roofs to nave and aisles
with fishscale tiles to chancel, coped verges. Nave and aisles with
later west tower survive from monastic church; remainder demolished at
Dissolution and present chancel added 1733; north-east porch and vestry
dated 1848 internally. Tower: in three stages with chamfered plinth and
stepped diagonal buttresses, pyramidal roof and brass weathercock; open
cusped arched parapet with intermediate and corner pinnacles rebuilt in
1854 as copy of existing parapet, restored animal and human heads to cornice
below. Two-light Perpendicular openings with hoodmoulds to belfry and
small chamfered rectangular windows with round arches and hollow spandrels
to second stage on north, south and west sides; decayed C13 figure sculpture
(probably not in situ) to string course of first stage on south and west;
triple-chamfered west doorway with hoodmould. Nave: only tops of north
and south walls (probably late C12)are visible above early C13 lean-to
aisles, southern partly rebuilt with flying buttresses of 1871; both are
of 5 bays, with late C19 Decorated-style fenestration plus continuous
hoodmould on south; west wall of each aisle retains original paired lancets,
that on north totally renewed late C19. Short one-bay chancel with east
window of 3 broad lancets probably C18 but altered 1871-2. Gabled
north-east porch and vestry have round arched doorway and window with
raised keystones, two C13 carved heads inserted to apexes of gables.
Interior: high north and south walls of nave pierced by 5-bay arcades
with circular piers and capitals; pointed arches have single chamfering
and filleted roll-moulding. Good late C15 arch-braced collar-beam roof
in 12 bays with V-struts from collars and 3 tiers of cusped windbraces,
upper 2 forming quatrefoil patterns, similar roofs to aisles; C18 brass
chandelier hangs from eastern tie beam of nave roof. Triple-chamfered
C14 west doorway but tall pointed chancel arch is of 1871. Low, late C19
stone screen at west end of chancel with altar rails and stone and mosaic
reredos (c.1877) designed by Blomfield and executed by Powells. Font of
medieval but indeterminate date was probably originally a stoup: octagonal
stepped pedestal with 4 semi-circular lobes and angle brackets to circular
basin. C13 aumbry and piscina in south aisle with some-glazed medieval
floor tiles (probably re-set) nearby. Stained glass: south aisle, east
window an Annunciation by Kempe (1894) with 2 windows to west by W. E. Tower,
dated 1918 and 1932 respectively; chancel, north and south windows by
Powell (1890). Monuments: plain late 018 to mid-C19 wall tablets in chancel:
momento mori to Richard Loid (died 1589), skull in circular recess above
coat-of-arms, to south of chancel arch with a tablet to Revd. Thomas Bray,
founder of S.P.C.K., to north (erected 1901); wall memorials to John
Davies (died 1792) and George Roberts (died 1747) flank chancel arch.
C18 funerary hatchments in tower, which has an elaborate wall memorial
to John Prichard (died 1728), fluted columns with Corinthian capitals
and shaped broken pediment with coat-of-arms; skull and cross bone motifs
to sides with crudely carved angel below inscription. The chancel screen
and choir stalls were removed to the church at Montgomery after the
Dissolution and the chained book library formerly in the church is now
at Shrewsbury. The Augustinian priory, of which the church is the principal
survival, was originally established at Snead, approximately 6 miles
to south-east, in late C12 but had moved to Chirbury before 1227.
2 churches and a priest are, however, recorded at Chirbury in Domesday.
B.O.E. pp.98-9; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905)

Listing NGR: SO2613398514

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.