History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Priory, attached walls and gate piers, Repton School

A Grade I Listed Building in Repton, Derby, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8413 / 52°50'28"N

Longitude: -1.551 / 1°33'3"W

OS Eastings: 430340

OS Northings: 327184

OS Grid: SK303271

Mapcode National: GBR 5DD.YGN

Mapcode Global: WHCG1.4VP4

Plus Code: 9C4WRCRX+GH

Entry Name: The Old Priory, attached walls and gate piers, Repton School

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 24 October 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1055755

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82774

Location: Repton, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Repton

Built-Up Area: Repton

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Repton St Wystan

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 30/3127
SK 30/3126

(North Side)
The Old Priory, Attached Walls and Gate Piers, Repton School
(formerly listed as three items)


Priors lodgings converted into a school in 1557, attached steps
and walls up to main entrance and attached gate piers known as
the Pillars of Hercules. Late C12, C16, C17 restored 1922.
Rubble and coursed squared sandstone, with sandstone dressings
and some red brick. Plain tile roof, moulded coped gables with
plain kneelers and finials. C19 and C20 brick stacks in the
pitch of the roof. One external stack to west, raised in brick.
Two storeys. West elevation of seven bays with mostly C16 and
C17 fenestration. The end bays gabled. Chamfered stringcourse
above the undercroft. Fenestration from left to right, a
3-light recessed cavetto moulded mullioned window, doorway with
plain chamfered surround, 4-light and 3-light mullioned windows,
moulded four-centred arched doorway, wooden cross window,
2-light casement in chamfered surround, blocked window, two
2-light wooden casements, doorway opening to a stone winder
stair within the wall leading to an upper doorway originally
giving access to a range to west. Archway with segmental arch.
The first floor has a cross window, 4-light mullioned and
transomed window, cross window, and three 4-light mullioned and
transomed windows. In the left gable a 3-light mullioned
window, in the right gable, a similar window with wooden
casements. Seven C18 gabled dormers. To the south a ramped
walkway with parapet walls with double chamfered copings, leads
up to the main entrance, a C16 four-centred arched doorway with
moulded surround and carved spandrels. Returned hoodmould. C16
panelled door with smaller door set in. To the right a 2-light
casement with similar above. To the left a sundial and above
again a sunk panel with moulded surround. Attached to the west,
by the external stack, a low wall and the Pillars of Hercules,
built c1670 as the result of a law suit between the governors of
the school and the Thacker family who owned Repton Hall. Square
ashlar piers, moulded cornices and ball finials. East elevation
of ten bays. Three centre bays are twin gabled and project over
a three bay open arcade with basket arches and plain impost
band. Three recessed and cavetto moulded cross windows above.
Single light casements in the gables. To the left the ground
floor has two wooden casement windows and a four-centred arched
doorway. A 4-light and 2-light mullioned and transomed window
and a wooden cross window above. Remains of a chamfered
stringcourse to left. Left gable has a casement window and
parapet walls repaired in brick. To the right, irregular
fenestration of mostly wooden mullioned and transomed casements
set in chamfered surrounds; also two chamfered lancets with
arched heads. Five C20 roof dormers. Interior: At the south
end a tunnel vaulted slype and the remains of deeply splayed
windows. Undercroft with four C12 and two C20 circular piers
supporting massive beams which in turn support the timber
ceiling. Set in the south wall are miscellaneous fragments from
the priory dug up in the 1880s, and in the north wall are
medieval tiles. Other fragments fill the south end of the
undercroft which is now the museum. To the north, re-set C17
panelling and a room with part of a C12 rib vault and two lancet
windows. C17 style oak staircase of 1922. The priors hall
above, now divided into schoolrooms. Remains of a C12
round-arched doorway, large fireplaces with bressumers and
chamfered beamed ceilings. Panelling mostly C20. At the north
end of the library a raised dais with carved and panelled back,
and canopy, dated 1650. Stained glass of 1909, copies of
vignettes of the life of St Guthlac designed by a monk from
Crowland in the C12. The top floor has a single and double
purlin braced collar beam roof, including fragments of the roof
of c1400.

Listing NGR: SK3034027184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.