This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8407 / 52°50'26"N
Longitude: -1.5509 / 1°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 430348
OS Northings: 327110
OS Grid: SK303271
Mapcode National: GBR 5DD.YJ6
Mapcode Global: WHCG1.4VRN
Entry Name: Priory Gateway, Precinct Walls, the Tithe Barn and the Lodge, Repton School
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Last Amended: 24 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055800
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82772
Location: Repton, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Repton
Built-Up Area: Repton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Repton St Wystan
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF REPTON WILLINGTON ROAD
6/89 (North Side)
19.1.67 Priory Gateway, Precinct
Walls, the Tithe Barn
and the Lodge, Repton
School (formerly listed
as two items)
Gateway, walls, tithe barn and lodge. Medieval with later
alterations, and 1896. Coursed squared sandstone and sandstone
ashlar, red brick, plain tile roofs. The precinct walls enclose
a large area to the south west, south and east of the school.
They are of coursed squared sandstone with repair in red tiles,
and with triple chamfered copings. At the south west angle is a
C19 four-centred arched doorway with moulded ashlar surround and
plank door. At the south east angle in Brook End, is a blocked
pointed arch low down, with a plaque above inscribed 'Under this
[arch once/flowed the Water to the priory mill/ the arch was]
[moved/nine yards from the north to its present position/in March]
1905. C20 gateway at the south east corner. Along the east side
is remains of a chamfered stringcourse and several buttresses.
Attached at the north west termination of the wall are the tithe
barn, lodge and archway at the entrance to Repton School. The
tithe barn may be of medieval origin and has a box framed wall
with brick infill to east. The west side forms part of the
precinct wall. Plain tile roof. Inside, a five bay tie beam
and queen post roof. C13 archway attached to north west.
Triple chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould. Filleted responds
with two orders of nook shafts and two chamfers to each side.
Moulded capitals. Flanked to south by massive buttresses with
six set-offs. Lodge attached to north east. 1896 in Tudor
style. Single storey, plain tile roof with coped gables, and
castellated parapet. At the north west corner is a polygonal
turret bay with transomed windows. To the right a broad
segmental arch to open porch. Pointed arched doorway within.
To the left a gabled bay with a 3-light mullioned and transomed
window with arched lights under a broad four-centred arch, with
carved spandrels. Curved panel above with the date-1896.
Listing NGR: SK3034827110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings