This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.886 / 52°53'9"N
Longitude: -2.8883 / 2°53'17"W
OS Eastings: 340325
OS Northings: 332431
OS Grid: SJ403324
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.Q6WM
Mapcode Global: WH89S.LQVC
Entry Name: Lee Old Hall
Listing Date: 27 May 1953
Last Amended: 25 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055893
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260822
Location: Ellesmere Rural, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Rural
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 43 SW
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P.
Lee Old Hall
(formerly listed as Lee Hall)
Farmhouse, now house. Probably c.1550 with dated extensions of 1594 for a Mr. Charleton, agent to the Earl of Bridgewater, and 1651 for Stephen Hatchett; C19 additions and alterations.
Timber framed with rendered and painted brick infill; slate roofs. Original part to rear apparently in two framed bays and two bay cross-wing with projecting porch added to front in 1594 forming basic L-plan. Two storey porch (1651) attached to left gable end of cross-wing. Two storeys and attics. Framing: mid-C16 range has square panels, three from cill to wall-plate with plinth painted black and white in imitation of timber frame. Jowled wall posts and renewed tie beam to left gable end. Two storey gabled porch to front is jettied to first floor and attic with moulded bressumers, upper superscribed "ANNO DOMINI 1594". C20 plank door under lean-to hood flanked by contemporary fixed-light windows in apparently earlier surrounds. Two-light leaded latticed casement to first floor, which has herringbone patterns to front and sides. Herringbone decoration with four middle rails to remainder of cross-wing including to gable ends and gable above eaves to right. Original late C16 fenestration; two mullioned and transomed windows with leaded latticed lights to right of porch on ground floor and two mullioned windows also with leaded lights (right latticed) directly below eaves. Gable above eaves has similar two-light windows and mullioned windows with leaded latticed lights on each floor to left gable end.
Former two storey porch attached to left gable end is now open to ground floor and supported to front by brick wall. Close-set vertical posts with middle rail. Four-light leaded window has C17 moulded cill. C19 red brick integral lateral stack to back wall of cross-wing on left and similar stack in bottom of roof slope at junction between mid C16 part and cross-wing (right side). C19 flat-roofed addition running full length of right side of mid-C16 range incorporates formerly gabled (now flat-roofed) timber framed projection abutting right gable end of 1594 range. C19 two storey gabled brick range, painted black and white in imitation of timber frame, at right-angles to rear of mid C16 range.
Interior; Inspection not possible at time of resurvey (March 1987) but known to have panelling and overmantel dated 1657 similar to that of Shade Oak Farmhouse (q.v.under Cockshutt C.P.). Cellar beneath right room of 1594 range.
Listing NGR: SJ4032532431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings