This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.991 / 50°59'27"N
Longitude: -2.6266 / 2°37'35"W
OS Eastings: 356115
OS Northings: 121473
OS Grid: ST561214
Mapcode National: GBR MP.KVRR
Mapcode Global: FRA 56DH.DJL
Entry Name: Ashington Manor
Listing Date: 19 April 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262616
Location: Chilton Cantelo, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chilton Cantelo
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST52SE CHILTON CANTELO CP
Manor House. C15 onwards. Ham stone ashlar; stone slated roof hipped at
the East end, with West and North gables coped; stone chimney stacks
with moulded caps. "L" plan: 2-storeys with attic: South elevation of
3-bays. Central modern door in heavy frame, with slightly projecting
flat roofed porch with a keystoned 4-centre arch of very rural detail;
to left angled bay window of 6-lights width having hollow chamfered
mullions, and transomes to ground floor only, single light to first
floor only; obelisk pinnacled gable on corbelled kneelers with further
3-light mullion attic window with label: to right 3-light matching
mullioned windows without labels: small 2-light windows over doorway
with wrought iron casement stay: to the South-west corner a buttress
with string course and featuring stone wyvern carving, for St. Barbe.
West elevation of 5-bays; bay one having small staircase projection with
small windows; bays 2, 3 and 4 having a variety of hollow chamfered
mullioned windows; bay 5 gabled and somewhat altered, with C16 and later
windows: several lean-to additions on East side including one of C20 in
brick; prominent stepped chimney stacks of C17. Interior considerably
altered but contains much of interest, including five C17 fireplaces,
one with sword decoration in the spandrils to the cambered arch; a
variety of doors and doorcases from arched C15 2-, 4-, and 6-panel doors
of C17 and C18; two staircases, one stone C17, another probably C18,
also in one bedroom a portion of wall painting featuring an angel: Some
internal ferramenta to the West windows indentical to that of Church of
St Vincent, Ashington (qv). The house originally twice its present size;
the South front being halved, with the doorway relocated, after 1820:
some Quatrefoil panels from the former central projecting porch now set
into the walls of the closeby outbuilding now called "Magnolia Cottage",
not included, immediately North-east of the house property. The West
facade was similarly shortened. Of pre-Conquest origins, it was in the
overlordship of Blastonbury Abbey; families associated with it include
de Curcelle, and from 1390 to 1901 the St. Barbes, becoming St. Barbe
Sy4enha. from 1722, in 1940 it passed to the Church Commisioners.
(Francis Goulding, Ashington, Chilton Cantelo, Mudford - the Story of
Three Somerset Parishes, 1982; VA6 report, unpublished SRD, 1976;
illustrated in pre-1820 in "Gentlemen's Magazine', 1887).
Listing NGR: ST5611321475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings