History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with Aqueduct to North East

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Crewkerne, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.8539 / 50°51'14"N

Longitude: -2.8343 / 2°50'3"W

OS Eastings: 341371

OS Northings: 106378

OS Grid: ST413063

Mapcode National: GBR MD.VHRR

Mapcode Global: FRA 46YV.3NP

Entry Name: Clapton Mill (Lockyer and Son), with Aqueduct to North East

Listing Date: 18 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262461

Location: West Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: West Crewkerne

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Crewkerne

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/214 Clapton Mill
(Lockyer and Son), with aqueduct
to north east


Water driven flour mill. Rebuilt 1864, on site of C12 mill. Local stone cut and squared, Ham stone ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof with plain bargeboarded gables. Three storeys with attic, the main block of 4 bays. Chamfer-mullioned
windows without labels, all 3-light, with cast iron casements having rectangular panes. Metal plate reinforcements at
beam ends showing externally. To lower bay 1 a boarded door in moulded flat-arched surround, and to bay 2 plain
doorways to first and second floors. Above doorways is a projecting timber-framed, corrugated iron clad, sack hoist, on
timber brackets resting on stone corbels, with pitched, gabled roof, simple window and trap doors. Against the south
gable a small single-storey building having segmental-arched openings to 2 casement windows, brick south gable; this is
the diesel engine house, presumably of 1931, the date of the Ruston and Hornsby engine still used to boost the
water-wheel drive when necessary. Behind are the two apertures of the wheelhouse, a small segmental-arched opening, and
the larger 3-centred arch over the millstream itself, which runs the length of the building at the rear: a 2-light
window set high in the mail south gable, and 2 others below. Against north gable two leanto buildings, the smaller
against the larger. The rear, east elevation in brick. Attached to the north-east corner the launder, or aqueduct
carrying the upper stream of steel plate conduit on brick piers, 20-30 metres length. The wheel in cast iron, of 6.4
metres diameter and about 3 metres across, Dorset made but repaired by a Martock firm; is both overshot and brestshot:
the machinery it drives is essentially that installed in 1864, with appropriate renewals, and uses Derbyshire and
French millstones. The internal structure essentially timber, with cast iron columns. Original ladder stairs, with ten
bin stores in attic, The Lockyer family moved in as tenant millers in 1870, and bought the mill in 1901 as it is still
run only by a Lockyer father and son (July 1986), it has not been necessary to implement changes to meet with current
"Health and Safety at Work" legislation. The mill would probably not survive such alterations, or at least retain its
current interest and importance. (Buckanan, C.A and R.A, Guide to Industrial Archaelogy of Central and Southern
England, 1980; Lockyer & Son, short leaflet, 1985/86). Graded at II* for surviving machinery.

Listing NGR: ST4137106378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.