History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 3 Monuments in Churchyard, to South-East of Chancel, Church of St John the Evangelist and All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingstone, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9187 / 50°55'7"N

Longitude: -2.8849 / 2°53'5"W

OS Eastings: 337894

OS Northings: 113619

OS Grid: ST378136

Mapcode National: GBR MB.QGXR

Mapcode Global: FRA 46VP.1Y0

Entry Name: Group of 3 Monuments in Churchyard, to South-East of Chancel, Church of St John the Evangelist and All Saints

Listing Date: 18 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1056987

English Heritage Legacy ID: 264119

Location: Kingstone, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Kingstone

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Kingstone

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/35 Group of 3 monuments in
churchyard, to south-east of
chancel, Church of St. John the
Evangelist and All Saints


Group of 2 chest tombs and a headstone: (a) Chest tomb about 9 metres south-east of chancel: C17. Ham stone. Base
buried; single panel each end with ovolo-mould frame, 2 panels each flank, with rather worn pilasters; heavy moulded
coving to nearly flat top. Much overgrown, and inscription not accessible. (b) Chest tomb about 11 metres south-east of
chancel: Early C18. Ham stone. Base buried; semi-circular arched panels with keystones, inposts and dentilling, one
each end and 2 each flank; cyma-recta coving to heavy hipped top. Commemorates ---- ----, died 1708. (c) Double
headstone about 13 metres south-south-east of chancel: C18 reuse of C17 stone. Ham stone, size 900mm wide x 1100mm high
x 140mm thick; shaped trefoil top; on west face 2 angel-heads with hourglass between and scrolls to sides, carved frame
with tasselled centre-drop, commemorating Robert Simpson, died 1784. On east face an inscription to Ivy Harris, wife of
Richard Harris, died 1623 - this inscription very deep cut.

Listing NGR: ST3789413619

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.