This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9271 / 50°55'37"N
Longitude: -2.8165 / 2°48'59"W
OS Eastings: 342714
OS Northings: 114498
OS Grid: ST427144
Mapcode National: GBR MF.PVN2
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZN.JKS
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1056994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 264136
Location: Lopen, South Somerset, Somerset, TA13
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Lopen
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Lopen
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
LOPEN CP CHURCH STREET (South side)
8/54 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. C12 or C13 origins. Mostly C14 and C15; north transept added 1833, remainder substantially
rebuilt between 1874 and 1886. Ham stone, mostly cut and squared but with some coursed rubble, ashlar dressings; Welsh
slate roofs with stone slate base courses between coped gables. Three-cell plan of 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave and north
transept, with south porch and western bell turret. Chancel has chamfered plinth, angled corner buttresses; 2-light
east window of c1300, without label; 2 lancets on south side and one on north, with slight projection in north-west
corner for rood stair having small rectangular light. Nave has offset corner buttresses, one early C19 3-light 'Y'
traceried window each side, under curlstop labels; south side also has small pointed-segmental-arched lancet to west of
porch; west wall has a mid-C19 2-light traceried window without label, with short buttress under, above which is a
simple C19 bell turret with 2 small bells. South porch plain, no buttress, simple chamfered outer arch with early C19
timber gate topped with spikes, very simple pointed inner arch; stone bench seats, and in east wall the headstone of a
C12 window with incised radial lines. North transept has 3-light 'Y'-traceried windows to match nave, one in each wall
with pointed-arched doorway under curl-stop label in north gable, and on west side a former gallery doorway set tight
under eaves, with flight of 10 stone steps having wrought iron handrail. Interior has work of all periods; chancel has
segmental-arched ribbed vaulted ceiling of C17 or C18; two blanked-off statue niches with plain 4-centre-arched heads
in east wall; doorway to former rood loft stair in north wall, and plain chamfered almost triangular chancel arch. Nave
has segmental barrel-vault ceiling without ribs, and walls unplastered below cill level; late C18/early C19 gallery at
west end, carrying organ installed after 1945. North transept has full-width quasi-4-centred arch, and barrel vault
ceiling without ribs of same profile; the gallery removed in l958. Fittings include C18 communion rail and two C17
chancel chairs; plain octagonal font on octagonal base, possibly C13, and a chancel screen of 1957 by A.F. Erridge.
Memorials include an incised and painted lias stone slab to George Sampson, died 1724, set behind pulpit, and 2 early
C19 memorials to members of the Templeman family. Chancel windows of 1868 and 1897, the latter of good quality. (VCH,
Vol III, l974; Hopper S, Lopen and its Church, Petherton Press, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST4271414498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings