This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1682 / 51°10'5"N
Longitude: -3.4946 / 3°29'40"W
OS Eastings: 295597
OS Northings: 142055
OS Grid: SS955420
Mapcode National: GBR LH.6QHX
Mapcode Global: VH5K4.CWWV
Entry Name: Church of St Petrock
Listing Date: 22 May 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1057303
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265377
Location: Timberscombe, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24
District: West Somerset
Civil Parish: Timberscombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
SS94SE TIMBERSCOMBE CP CHURCH STREET (West side)
7/94 Church of St Petrock
Parish church. C15, tower 1708 with C19 roof, chancel restored 1862, rest of church restored 1882, vestry added early
C20. 1862 restoration by E Christian. Slate, ironstone and red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, Treborough
slate roofs, slight bell-cast to nave with sprockets. Three bay nave, chancel, 3-bay south aisle, south east chapel now
organ chamber, north porch, south west vestry, west tower. Two stage tower, pyramid slate roof crenellations with
quatrefoil pierced merlons and shields, pinnacles, gargoyles, 2-light louvred bell openings under hood mould, clock,
blocked semi-circular headed opening on south front with lancet below, west end unlit. To right single storey flat
roofed vestry with door, 3-light window south front, one 2-light and three 3-light cinquefoil headed mullioned windows
to nave, east end of nave chimney and 2 x 3-light window, 2-light mullioned window in south wall of chancel, east end
3-light, south wall of chancel 2-light trefoil headed mullions flanking moulded 4-centred arch priest's door, rood
stair projection with lancet, 3-light windows flanking gabled single storey porch, moulded pointed arch opening, wagon
roof with moulded ribs, bosses and renewed wall plate, chamfered Tudor arch headed surround to C15-C16 inner door with
original metal work. Interior: rendered, remains of wall painting above blocked door in south aisle wall. C19 arch
braced roof carried on corbels with earlier wall plate in nave, C19 and renewed open wagon roofs to nave and aisle.
Four bay Perpendicular arcade with decoration of vine leaves and shields to central capital. Semi-circular tower arch
filled with C18 raised and fielded panelling reset as pivotal screen, carved winged cherub above. Rood loft stair and
door. Late C15 5-bay fan vaulted screen with double doors in good condition, renewed frieze to chancel side; C20 oak
panelled dado screen to organ bay. Ogee headed aumbry with shelf. Perpendicular octagonal font. Fine Jacobean pulpit.
Few moulded C17 bench ends, others C19 in the same style. Marble tablet to Mary Whitehead died 1841 by Pearse of
Minehead. (Kellys Directory, 1906; Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: SS9559642054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings