History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Doverhay House and Doverhay Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Porlock, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2085 / 51°12'30"N

Longitude: -3.5935 / 3°35'36"W

OS Eastings: 288784

OS Northings: 146688

OS Grid: SS887466

Mapcode National: GBR LC.43GZ

Mapcode Global: VH5JW.NWMD

Entry Name: Doverhay House and Doverhay Lodge

Listing Date: 2 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1058043

English Heritage Legacy ID: 265460

Location: Porlock, West Somerset, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

Civil Parish: Porlock

Built-Up Area: Porlock

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


Doverhay House and Doverhay Lodge


Probably 2 cottages, enlarged and refenestrated to form house with adjoining lodge. Probably some C17 work, mainly mid
C19. Rendered over rubble, thatched roofs, hipped to west, painted brick stacks north and east gable ends and rising
from eaves west. Plan: roughly L-plan on corner site, single storey lodge south end, probably 2 cell left of entrance
on east front, long north front of probably 3 cells with gable end of north west range. North front: one and a half
storeys, 2:1 bays, mainly trefoil headed lights with some leading, two gables left above trefoil headed lights with
plate glass, corbelled sills, 2-light window right gable end with 2 thatched hooded 2-light windows below. Left return
bevelled corner to gable end with 2 pointed arch niches containing single light windows, entrance beyond in recessed
2-storey bay with applied half timbering to gable end, door with 3-light window to left and date 1690 above. Long
4-bay, 2 storey block adjoining with 3 dormers and window set below gable end to right with applied half-timbering,
single storey lodge with depressed timber arch doorway in curved wall abutting left; adjoining Doverhay Cottage (qv) to
left. Interior not seen, similar in style to The Gable Hotel (qv) to north. The date of 1690 with 2 portrait
medallions, presumably of William and Mary, over entrance, probably added circa 1900.

Listing NGR: SS8878446688

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.