This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2338 / 51°14'1"N
Longitude: -2.5211 / 2°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 363712
OS Northings: 148420
OS Grid: ST637484
Mapcode National: GBR MT.2K31
Mapcode Global: VH89V.8810
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 2 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1058471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 266400
Location: Ashwick, Mendip, Somerset, BA3
Civil Parish: Ashwick
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of St James
Parish church. Perpendicular tower of c1450, remainder 1881 by Browne and Gill in Gothic style, with additions by W.D Caroe of 1915. Coursed rubble, slate roofs.
Consists of tower, north and south aisles, southern with small Lady Chapel, nave, chancel, and vestry. Tower of three-stages has diagonal corner buttresses, continuing as pinnacles above capped by crocketed finials. Simple two-light bell opening to centre of each side of the top stage, containing dense quatrefoil interlace, embattled parapet with blind arcading. Aisles of four-bays, having two-light windows in the Decorated style, each bay flanked by a buttress; pierced quatrefoil parapet above, gabled porch to south side. Above clerestory stage, small paired cusped lights.
Interior dominated by arcaded nave, supported on Draycott marble columns. Wagon roof to nave and chancel. Stained glass all of 1881 rebuild. Memorials dating from C18, particularly under tower to Richard Hardwick of 1770, local clockmaker, and earlier memorial to his children of 1738, in the shape of a clock. C18 English painting of St James' Miracle in Lady Chapel.
Listing NGR: ST6371148425
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings