This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0611 / 51°3'40"N
Longitude: -3.1887 / 3°11'19"W
OS Eastings: 316796
OS Northings: 129761
OS Grid: ST167297
Mapcode National: GBR LX.FJ08
Mapcode Global: FRA 4669.X5X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270227
Location: Bishop's Lydeard, Taunton Deane, Somerset, TA4
District: Taunton Deane
Civil Parish: Bishop's Lydeard
Built-Up Area: Bishops Lydeard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST1629 BISHOP'S LYDEARD CP CHURCH STREET (West side)
10/15 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. Some late C14 work, mainly late C15, chancel and North aisle rebuilt, latter extended one bay and vestry
added 1860-62 by Jeboult of Taunton. Coursed and squared Lydeard red sandstone, random rubble chancel, Ham stone
dressings, moulded plinth, slate roofs with coped verges, nave decorative ridge tiles, C19 patterned slate roof on
chancel. Four bay nave, transepts, chancel, 4 bay North and South aisles, South porch, West tower. The church is noted
for its fine tower with pierced tracery battlements, pinnacles, set back buttresses terminating in pinnacles at the
bell-storey, pinnacles also on the buttresses at each stage. Two 3-light double tier bell openings with Somerset
tracery and corbelled pinnacles on all faces, third stage single 2-light window with Somerset tracery, small window
below at second stage, 5-light two tier window above West door, 4 centred arched opening with square surround and
decorative spandrels - C19 renewed in Ham stone. Stair turret in North-east corner. All windows 3-light perpendicular.
North aisle crenellated with gable incorporated at West end but rising behind crenellated parapet at East end,
gargoyles and rood stair turret. North aisle without crenellations mid C19. South porch crenellated to East but filled
out to form parapet at West end, pediment over entrance that contains remains of scratch clock. Perpendicular piers
flanking moulding arched entrance, wagon roof and 4 centred arched doorway with C15 door with strap hinges transversing
the width of the door. Interior: standard Perpendicular arcades, lower on North aisle, perhaps late C14 while taller
South aisle contemporary with tower circa 1470, C15 wagon roof South aisle; exposed ribs and trusses of C15 wagon roof
nave, ceiled above rood screen, painted and gilded; C19 scissor truss roof with arch braces on corbels in North aisle,
ceiled wagon roof chancel C19. Painted baldacchino and painted decoration on jambs of chancel window, Ninian Comper,
1925. Fine early C16 rood screen with fan vaulting and tracery arcades, C19 painting and gilding, rood cross above by
Comper l948. Jacobean pulpit on mid C19 stone stand. C15 octagonal font, restored mid Cl9 late C15 - early C16 bench
ends. Collection of C18 wall tablets. Brass Nicholas Grebham, died 1598, Eleanor his wife, with their family. A fine
tower and good collection of fittings. (SANHS Vols 44 and 54, 1898 and 1908; Lloyd Hughes Owens, The Church of St Mary
the Virgin Bishops Lydeard, not dated; photographs in NMR).
Listing NGR: ST1679429762
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings