This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4851 / 51°29'6"N
Longitude: -1.0364 / 1°2'11"W
OS Eastings: 467005
OS Northings: 176676
OS Grid: SU670766
Mapcode National: GBR Q43.C2
Mapcode Global: VHCZ3.ZXGX
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret and Bardolf Aisle
Listing Date: 9 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247404
Location: Mapledurham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG8
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Mapledurham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Caversham Thameside and Mapledurham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MAPLEDURHAM THE STREET
SU67NE (East side)
9/186 Church of St. Margaret and
09/02/59 Bardolf Aisle
Church. C13, Bardolf aisle added c.1381, alterations of C15 and C16, restoration
of 1834 at the expense of William IV, restoration of 1863 by William Butterield.
Flint with stone dressings to nave, chancel and vestry; flint and stone chequer
to porch; brick and flint chequer to tower; plain tile roof. Nave chancel and
aisles with west tower plan. Gabled porch of c.1863 to right of centre with
double plank doors with ornamental wrought iron hinges. Ornamental pierced barge
boards to gable. 2-light C19 Perpendicular stone window to centre. 3-light
rectangular window with stone Perpendicular tracery. 2-light paired trefoil
lancet to vestry to left. Plank door to left with cusped arch. Paired cusped
louvred lancet to top of tower. Pyramidal roof to tower. 3-light Perpendicular
tracery window to left hand return. Rear: Bardolf aisle has flint and stone in
random courses. Stepped buttresses. Perpendicular tracery windows to left and
right ends and middle. Plank door to left of centre. Blocked window and door to
right. 3-light plate tracery window to right return base of tower. Interior:
Romanesque round font with cable moulding on C19 base with remains of C19
painted decoration. Brass to Sir Robert Bardolf of c.1395 to Bardolf aisle.
Chest tomb of Sir Richard and Dame Cecily Blount to Bardolf aisle arcade with
recumbent figures to top and kneeling figures to sides. Good collection of C18
monuments in Bardolf aisle. Pews, pulpit, reredos, altar rail, choir stalls by
William Butterfield. Decoration of chancel and pulpit probably by Butterfield.
False north aisle created by Butterfield by inserting false arcade which
obscures curved principal roof with wind braces. Original roof to Bardolf aisle
with some replacement of rafters. Subsidiary feature: Clock to tower given by
William IV. History: Bardolf aisle added c.1381 as a chantry chapel.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.693-4; Richard Williams, The Bardolf Aisle
Listing NGR: SU6700476676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings