This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4849 / 51°29'5"N
Longitude: -1.0355 / 1°2'7"W
OS Eastings: 467067
OS Northings: 176655
OS Grid: SU670766
Mapcode National: GBR Q43.K4
Mapcode Global: VHDWL.0YF2
Plus Code: 9C3WFXM7+XQ
Entry Name: Mapledurham House
Listing Date: 24 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1368944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 247406
Location: Mapledurham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG4
Civil Parish: Mapledurham
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Caversham Thameside and Mapledurham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
MAPLEDURHAM THE STREET
SU67NE (East side)
9/188 Mapledurham House
Country House. c.1585, C19 alterations and extensions. Red brick with grey brick
diaper pattern; plain tile roof; brick stacks. H-shaped plan. 2 storeys and
attic; 9-window range. 7-window centre with single window cross wings to left
and right. Central double 6-panel door with ashlar rendered porch with corner
buttresses and battlemented top. 2-storey angled bay windows to left and right
of centre and to cross wings. Stone mullion and transom windows to all openings.
Shaped stone string course above ground floor windows. Hood moulds to first
floor windows with shaped stone string course above and battlemented eaves.
Cross wings have brick parapet to roof. Cross gable to centre with single-light
casement. Cross gables to cross-wings with single-light casement. Similar
treatment to rear with projecting chapel of c.1789 to left of centre with
central door and 2 Perpendicular style windows. Interior: Central Hall,
constructed c.1828 from part of original hall. Panelling of c.1863. Staircase:
Oak open well staircase of cantilever construction with balustrade of turned
balusters. Chapel: Gothick style with cross vaulted ceiling. Saloon to first
floor. Plaster ribbed ceiling of c.1612 with roundels depicting Roman figures.
Dining room to ground floor right in Adam style by Thomas Martin. History:
Building started by Sir Michael Blount, Lieutenant of the Tower of London,
completed by Sir Richard Blount in 1612. Michael Blount (1743-1821) built the
Roman Catholic chapel and his son, Michael Henry Blount (1789-1874) employed
Thomas Martin to decorate the dining room and carry out other alterations in
1828. Further alterations were carried out in 1863.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.695-697; Richard Williams, Mapledurham
House Guide book, 1977).
Listing NGR: SU6706776655
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings