This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6562 / 51°39'22"N
Longitude: -1.0068 / 1°0'24"W
OS Eastings: 468805
OS Northings: 195739
OS Grid: SU688957
Mapcode National: GBR B1Y.49D
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.HMMP
Entry Name: The White House
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Last Amended: 3 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059729
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248978
Location: Pyrton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Pyrton
Built-Up Area: Pyrton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
PYRTON CHURCH LANE
SU6895 (East side)
13/132 The White House
18/07/63 (Formerly listed as The Old
House. Late C15, extended in C17; extended and remodelled c.1800 for William
Buckle, vicar 1787 to 1832. Originally timber-framed with jettied and gable side
wings; close studding with brick nogging in left side wall. Roughcast; hipped
old tile roof; late C15/C16; brick right end stack and C.19 lateral stacks.
U-plan extended to double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 4-window range. Symmetrical
3-window range of c.1800 to right has stone porch with columns; decorative
overlight with armorial glass over 6-panelled door flanked by glazed strips.
2-light casements over porch flanked by canted bays with casement windows: bay
to left has 3-light leaded casements; parapet. One-storey bay, rendered with
plank door and leaded casement, links main house to 2-storey range to left,
rendered with hipped old tile roof. Early C19 brick wing to rear left, with
canted oriel window, adjoins C17 wing of chalk rubble with timber lintels over
sash and early C19 brick round-arched stair-light with ornamental leading and
spandrel-pane of C16 Flemish glass depicting Calvary. Interior: late C15 moulded
beam and post, and exposed timber framing in left room, which also has 4-centred
cavetto-moulded doorway with trefoils and quatrefoils carved in spandrels.
Central late C15 hall has beam with mortices for partition to left: c.1800 this
hall was divided into dining room with fireplace to left and hall with concave
ceiling and decorative fanlights over 2 doorways. Early C17 dog-leg staircase to
rear, possibly reset, with turned balusters, moulded handrail and newel finial.
First floor has fine room of c.1800 to rear left with fireplace and double-leaf
doors. Roof: central lower king-strut truss with clasped purlins and curved
windbraces in flanking wings, which were originally gabled to front before roof
remodelled c.1800. In 1665, the owner, Thomas Eustace (gent), paid tax on 6
hearths, so making the house the third largest in the area after Stonor House
and Pyrton House (q.v.). Described as "one of the prettiest abodes" in 1809,
after William Buckle's alterations. The late C15 doorway is a rare traceried
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, pp.140-141; H.B. Weinstock, Hearth Tax Returns,
Oxfordshire, 1665, Oxfordshire Record Society, Vol.XXI, (1940), p.19; M. Wood,
The English Medieval House, 1965, p.343).
Listing NGR: SU6880595739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings