This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6558 / 51°39'21"N
Longitude: -1.0077 / 1°0'27"W
OS Eastings: 468740
OS Northings: 195693
OS Grid: SU687956
Mapcode National: GBR B1Y.41W
Mapcode Global: VHDVT.HN40
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059730
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248980
Location: Pyrton, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Pyrton
Built-Up Area: Pyrton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pyrton and Shirburn
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
PYRTON CHURCH LANE
SU6895 (West side)
13/134 Church of St. Mary
Church. Early C12, C15 porch; rebuilt in 1856 by J.C. Buckler. Knapped and
coursed flint, limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Chancel with
vestry and nave with porch and west bellcote. 3-light geometrical-style east
window: chancel side walls each have early C12 roll-moulded lancet: north vestry
has mid C19 round-arched windows. 3-bay nave with 2-light curvilinear-style
windows, and south porch with pointed moulded doorway and C15 three-light
trefoil-headed windows. Early C12 south doorway has hood of grapes, leaves and
fruit over zig-zag arch: jamb shafts with scalloped capitals and quatrefoil
imposts: mid C19 plank door. 2-light curvilinear-style west window flanked by
tall buttresses: bellcote has trefoil-headed lancet over 2 cinquefoil-headed
bell openings. Interior: chancel has brass of Thomas Symeon and wife, d.1522,
floor slab with figure of priest, c.1340, and alabaster floor tablet to Susanna
Ackworth, d.1585. Vestry has wall monument to Thomas Barnard, d.1582. Early C12
chancel arch has hood with flat reeded leaves over moulded arch on imposts
decorated with star-in-square pattern; jamb shafts carved with basket weave
(south) and interlace (north) have cable necks. Nave has top half of Jacobean
pulpit set on C19 platform. C12 font with mid C19 cover, and mid C19 pews,
lectern and arch-braced roof: brass tablet by Eric Gill in memory of Alfred St.
George Hammersley, d.1929. South porch has some medieval floor tiles, floor
tablet to Thomas Pyrton d.1701, early C19 wall tablets (Wiggins family) and C15
arch-braced collar trusses. Stained glass: fine east window, south-east nave
window by Clayton and Bell, 1893. The Church was given to Runcorn Priory,
Cheshire in 1115: the fine Norman features probably date from this time. Buckler
sought to preserve them in his Gothic restoration of 1856.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.732-733; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII,
p.172-4; National Monuments Record).
Listing NGR: SU6874095693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings