This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.65 / 51°39'0"N
Longitude: -1.0573 / 1°3'26"W
OS Eastings: 465320
OS Northings: 195002
OS Grid: SU653950
Mapcode National: GBR B1W.HJ0
Mapcode Global: VHCYB.MSFG
Plus Code: 9C3WMW2V+23
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 18 July 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1059763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 248857
Location: Brightwell Baldwin, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
Civil Parish: Brightwell Baldwin
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Brightwell Baldwin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
15/12, 4/12 Church of St. Bartholomew
Church. C13, rebuilt early C14; west tower remodelled and north chapel built in
C15: restored 1895. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, partly
rendered to north; gabled old tile roof. Chancel, north chapel, aisled nave and
west tower. Reticulated 3-light east window; south side of chancel has 3
two-light ogee-headed windows, pointed chamfered doorway and similar C15
transomed window, C15 north chapel has label moulds with head stops over 2- and
3-light windows. North aisle has 3 two-light ogee-headed windows, pointed
moulded doorway and similar window in west end. South aisle has 3 two-light
reticulated windows, flanking pointed moulded doorway to late C19 door with
ancient decorated lock; porch, with pointed chamfered doorway, built 1904;
2-light window with radiating mouchettes in east end and 2-light ogee-headed
window in west end. Tower has large offset corner buttresses flanking 2-light
window over pointed doorway, set within revealed moulded arch with crocketed
niches; C13 stair-turret with quatrefoil window to south; C13 paired lancets
partly restored to south; late C18 crenellated third stage with blind lunettes
and crocketed pinnacles. Interior: chancel has blind reredos arcade, roof and
stalls of 1860's: screen erected 1903; C14 piscina and aumbry to south, and
trefoil-headed recess to north; head of blocked C13 lancet set over and to side
of C15 chamfered doorway with C17 studded door to north chapel which has
piscina; early C14 double-chamfered blocked doorway to north aisle, which has
Stone family chapel to east divided off by early C14 archway and late C19
screen, Nave has early C14 four-bay arcades of double-chamfered arches with
linking hoodmoulds set on octagonal piers, complete Jacobean pulpit with tester,
C14 octagonal font with C17 cover, late C19 reading desk and lectern, and C18
pews. South aisle has treoil-headed piscina, and medieval floor tiles at east
end (also around font). Slab in porch commemorates Stephen Rumbold, d.1687.
Monuments: chancel has wall brass to John Cottesmore, d.1439, and wife; floor
brass to same persons depicted under canopies with 18 children below; C17 and
C18 floor tablets. North aisle has wall brass to John the Smith, c.1371. Stone
family chapel: alabaster tomb chest to John Carleton, d.1547, and wife, with
lozenges framing shields and foils and brass inscription, and similar tomb chest
to Anthony Carleton, d.1562, and wife. Monuments to William Lowndes Stone,
d.1772, by Westmacott, with white marble urn and bay leaf garland; monument to
Edward Stone, 1696, of cartouche with cherubs supporting drapery and flowers.
Wall monument opposite on south wall to Francis Lowe, d.1754, and family, has
broken pediment and crest set over 3 inscription panels with 4 Tuscan pilasters.
East wall has lavish Baroque memorial erected c.1690 by John Stone in memory of
his father and grandfather (d.1660 and 1640): cornice of armorial crests and
skull against "a background of black smoke and flames painted on the ceiling"
(Pevsner), and 3 white flanking urns set in black marble shell niches; white
inscription panels. North aisle has memorials to servants from Brightwell Park.
Stained glass: east window of c.1860. C14 glass in heads of chancel windows, and
south-west chancel window has C17 armorial glass, C15 Archangel Gabriel and
Virgin. Vestry has C15 Christ on the Cross inserted between Virgin Mary and John
the Baptist. Nave has C15 glass at heads of south-east windows. Stone chapel
east window has early C15 Virgin Annunciate (restored) and St. Paul, canopies
above, C15 armorial glass in traceries: west window has C15 armorial tracery
glass over St. Peter and St. Paul and scales with a devil trying to drag down a
naked soul held in balance.
The wall brass to John the Smith is probably the earliest surviving written in
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.484-5).
Listing NGR: SU6532095000
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings