This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0698 / 51°4'11"N
Longitude: -2.9176 / 2°55'3"W
OS Eastings: 335801
OS Northings: 130448
OS Grid: ST358304
Mapcode National: GBR M9.DSRW
Mapcode Global: FRA 46S9.74M
Plus Code: 9C3V339J+WW
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 29 March 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060261
English Heritage Legacy ID: 271176
Location: Burrowbridge, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA7
District: Somerset West and Taunton
Civil Parish: Burrowbridge
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST33SE BURROWBRIDGE CP
2/10 Church of St Michael
(formerly listed in Othery CP)
Parish church. 1836-8 by Richard Carver, chancel arch inserted 1888. Squared and coursed blue lias Ham stone dressings,
slate roofs, coped verges. Porch with flanking vestries at liturgical west end, bell-cote, 4-bay aisleless nave,
north-east organ bay, south-east chapel, chancel. West end gabled bell-cote with single bell, rose window in gable end,
single storey lean-to roofed porch and flanking vestries, clasping buttresses and projecting gabled centre, depressed
Tudor arch head doorway with double doors, south front 5 lancet windows between stepped buttresses, clasping buttresses
to nave and chanel, east window of 3 lancets, north front 5 lancet windows between stepped buttresses. Interior;
rendered. Chancel arch and arches between nave and chapels, pointed and chamfered in 2 orders, between chapels and
chancel wooden arch with pierced decorative spandrels. Ribbed and boarded wagon roof to chancel, scissor truss roof
with ridge pole to chancel. Stained pine dado, pews and west end gallery. Altar rails of paired black marble columns.
Minton tiles to sanctuary. Beer stone pulpit with steps dated 1890. Lectern dated 1889. Perpendicular style font. C17
joint stool in sanctuary. Fine coeval gothic style lamp brackets, painted and gilded cast iron, 2 in chancel and 5 in
nave. Painted hollow petal statuette of St Michael in chancel cl900, about 750 mm high. The parsonage (not included) to
the south was also designed by Richard Carver. (Photograph in NMR; VCH Somerset, Vol 6, forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST3580130447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings