This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0426 / 51°2'33"N
Longitude: -3.2282 / 3°13'41"W
OS Eastings: 313994
OS Northings: 127740
OS Grid: ST139277
Mapcode National: GBR LW.GL05
Mapcode Global: FRA 464C.66G
Plus Code: 9C3R2QVC+2P
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060602
English Heritage Legacy ID: 270361
Location: Halse, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4
Civil Parish: Halse
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST12NW HALSE CP
6/150 Church of St James
Parish Church. Some C12 and C13 work, mainly C15, North aisle circa 1546 restored 1900. Red sandstone random rubble,
Ham stone dressings, moulded plinth, C19 tiled roofs. Four bay nave, three bay North aisle, South porch, West tower.
Two stage tower, crenellated parapet, diagonal buttresses, damaged on South-west corner, 3-light window West end and
2-light Decorated bell-openings. Four light Perpendicular window in chancel and East and West ends of North aisle.
North front three 3-light mullioned windows with Tudor heads under hood moulds, 2-light cinquefoil mullions flanking
South porch. Rood loft stair tower on North front. Gabled tiled roof porch, late C15, with 3-light Perpendicular
windows perhaps reused. Interior: rendered. Arcade of Perpendicular piers set on roughly hewn plinths with primitive
Decorated capitals. Norman arch South door, C13 chancel arch and single chamfer tower arch. Wagon roofs, plastered
except in nave. East window contains mid C16 painted Flemish glass incorporated late C19. Chancel painted decoration,
1900, partly obliterated. Fine wooden screen circa 1500, restored 1900 by Harry Hems of Exeter. Norman font. Pews
carved by villagers in the local wood working class, 1900. Two rondels set in spandrels of North aisle nave wall,
right-hand one has face with foliage sprouting from it, thought to be circa 1300. On West wall, pair of late C16
Italian oil paintings, cut from larger work, artist unknown. Until 1867, or later, the exterior was plastered and
whitewashed. (SANHS Proceedings, vol 54, 1908; photographs in NMR, vol 5 forthcoming).
Listing NGR: ST1399627741
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings