This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2142 / 51°12'50"N
Longitude: 0.6937 / 0°41'37"E
OS Eastings: 588228
OS Northings: 149553
OS Grid: TQ882495
Mapcode National: GBR QTC.VJZ
Mapcode Global: VHJMP.ZR23
Plus Code: 9F326M7V+MF
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 26 April 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1060861
English Heritage Legacy ID: 174235
Location: Boughton Malherbe, Maidstone, Kent, ME17
Civil Parish: Boughton Malherbe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
BOUGHTON MALHERBE CHURCH ROAD
TQ 84 NE (North side)
6/9 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored 1848-50 by Alexander Apsley,
and 1905. Ragstone, with plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, south aisle,
south porch, chancel with south chapel. West tower: C15. Three staqes
on moulded plinth. Unbuttressed. Battlements above moulded string.
Single cinquefoil-headed belfry lights with squared hoodmoulds. Similar
light to west side of central stage and similar 2-light window above west
door. Moulded 4-centred arched west doorway with quatrefoiled spandrels,
and squared hoodmould with carved heads as label stops. Iron gates before
ribbed door. External round-headed stoup with squared hoodmould. C19
lean-to to north with pointed-arched west doorway and small pointed north
window. Nave: projects slightly south of tower, with no plinth. South
aisle: C14. No plinth. Gabled. Three C19 two-light windows in a C14
style, with hoodmoulds: one to west and 2 flanking porch. South porch:
moulded stone plinth. Shaped sprockets to eaves. Moulded bressumer across
gable with close-studding of 1905 above. One window of 2 round-headed
lights to each side. 4-centred arched inner and outer doorways with
similar mouldings. Ceiling with moulded beams, joists and cornice. South:
chapel: C14. No plinth. Diagonal south-east buttress. C19 two-light
south window and 3-light east window, in C14 style. Chancel: C14 or
earlier, extended to east in 1848-50. No plinth. Moulded stone kneelers
to moulded stone-coped parapet. South-east angle buttress and single
buttress towards north. C19 three-light east window and 2-light north
window in a C14 style. C19 lean-to north vestry with truncated north
stack, 2-light east window and pointed-arched west doorway. North elevation
of nave: no plinth. Projects north of chancel and tower, with 2 buttresses.
Two C19 windows in a C14 style. Low blocked pointed-arched doorway toward
west end. Interior: 2-bay nave arcade of pointed arches, doubly chamfered
with plain and hollow chamfers. Octagonal central and semi-octagonal end
columns with moulded Bethersden marble capitals and bases. Similar chancel
arch dying into wall. Single doubly-chamfered arch between chancel and
south chapel, springing from semi-octagonal columns with moulded capitals
and bases, single-chamfered arch between south chapel and south aisle,
springing from scroll-moulded imposts and chamfered piers. Pointed, single-
chamfered C13 tower arch with undercut imposts and chamfered piers. Chancel
floor raised up 5 steps from nave, and altar a further 4 steps at east end.
Roof: 2-bay roof to nave with 3 slender octagonal moulded crown-posts, sous-
laces, ashlar pieces and moulded. cornice. Moulded tie-beams, that to east
end brattished. Moulded solid-spandrel braces from pendant posts to tie-
beams, carved with shields superimposed on quatrefoils and daggers. Small
carved stone corbels beneath pendant posts. Common rafter roof to south
aisle, with collars and sous-laces. Long ashlar pieces and moulded cornice
to south side only. Chancel and south chapel roofs similar to south aisle;
chancel C19, south chapel probably C19 with re-used timber. Fittings: no
visible piscinae. Octagonal font on Bethersden marble base. Pulpit
incorporating re-used linenfold panelling. Funeral hatchment under tower.
Straight-sided 4-centred arched multi- cusped opening between chancel and
south chapel. Stained glass in west window 1894 bv Kempe. Monuments:
small brass in chancel to Nicholas Wotton, d. 1499, with kneeling man,
wife and children. Brass in chancel to Sir Edward Wotton, d. 1551; armoured
knight and lady with shields. Plain rectangular brass in chancel to Sir
James Wotton, d. 1628, and in nave to Edmond Sanford,Gent., d.1652. Large
brass on south wall of chancel to Thomas, Lord Wotton, d.1630; three
rectangular plates, that to top bearing coat of arms, to centre, the
inscription and to base a draped urn with swags. Similar 3-plate brass
on north wall of chancel, to Mary, widow to Thomas, Lord Wotton, d. 1658.
Bust of Thomas Wotton, d.1587, recessed in roundel in north wall of
chancel; motto to rim of roundel, alabaster shield with raised coat of
arms and achievements set in wall above, and rectangular plate with
inscription below. Rectangular alabaster tablet set within blocked north
doorway, to Dr. Leonell Sharpe, chaplain to Earl of Essex, Queen
Elizabeth, Prince Henry and King James; d.1630. Eared and shouldered,
with cherub's head to base plate and surmounted by 3 shields. Two
kneeling alabaster figures to south side of south aisle, probably from a
monument, circa 1600. Three white marble lions in chancel, formerly
supporting black marble pyramid on monument of Daniel O'Neale, d.1663.
Pyramid slabs said to have been used to floor vestry. [J. Newman, B.O.E.
Series, West Kent and the Weald 19801.
Listing NGR: TQ8819449629
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings