This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6159 / 52°36'57"N
Longitude: -2.4415 / 2°26'29"W
OS Eastings: 370202
OS Northings: 302106
OS Grid: SJ702021
Mapcode National: GBR BY.87N7
Mapcode Global: WH9DH.GHLY
Entry Name: Coalport Bridge Toll House
Listing Date: 24 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061397
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489636
Location: The Gorge, Telford and Wrekin, TF8
County: Telford and Wrekin
Civil Parish: The Gorge
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton Maddock St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Coalport Bridge Toll House
Originated as warehouse 1793-1808, in use as house by 1815 and as tollhouse from 1818, when the adjacent Coalport Bridge (Scheduled Ancient Monument) underwent major repairs. The ownership of the tollhouse passed to Shropshire County Council in 1922, and it was restored to its present condition after it passed to the Buildings at Risk Trust in 1994. Brick with plain tile roofs and brick stacks. L-plan, with former tollhouse of 1818 facing road and former warehouse of 1793-1808 to rear with c1860 extension to its rear elevation.
Two-storey tollhouse presents single-storey elevation to road, with timber lintel over plank door to left of central axial stack and with square bay window to right. Segmental brick header arch over 6-pane timber casement to left-hand gable and timber lintel over plank door, formerly with gabled porch, to right-hand gable. The ground to the rear falls away steeply, there being a truncated stack and copper projection to rear right, adjacent to a single-storey mid C19 (pre-1856) wash house with central plank double doors: the latter is largely a rebuilding of 1994.
To the rear, facing the Severn, is a 2-unit range with central entry, originally the warehouse and built in English stretcher bond brick with dog-tooth eaves. 2 storeys, 2-window front. Segmental header arches over central plank door and flanking 2-light iron casements, each of 3 panes; that to left has been moved following the insertion of the stack to the rear of the tollhouse. Two similar first-floor casements, set under eaves and flanking fixed-pane 4-light casement. Right gable end of this range has segmental brick header arches over glazing bar sash and blocked ground-floor doorway, to the rear being a similar casement above an inserted doorway and a projecting later C19 (c1860) 2-storey wing with lateral stack and on the rear gable two glazing-bar timber casements, that to ground floor having panelled shutters adjoining glazed door.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but known to be largely a result of restoration work. Warehouse has retained timber truss and purlins, and there are some salvaged oak beams.
HISTORY: Its early development as a warehouse (although shortlived and associated with a low-key wharfage) is testament to the burgeoning nature of river traffic in this area of the Severn in the 18th century, and of the industrial activity and monuments that have contributed to the registration of the Ironbridge Gorge area as a World Heritage Site. It has been sensitively restored, and in its external form at least it comprises a fine example of a combined warehouse and tollhouse, prominently located next to Coalport Bridge in this World Heritage Site.
The Toll House, Coalport Bridge, Shropshire. An archaeological and historical report for English Heritage. July 1994. Buildings at Risk Trust.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings