This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5868 / 51°35'12"N
Longitude: -0.0715 / 0°4'17"W
OS Eastings: 533702
OS Northings: 189312
OS Grid: TQ337893
Mapcode National: GBR H9.QNC
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.QC2W
Entry Name: War Memorial
Listing Date: 24 July 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061398
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489637
Location: Haringey, London, N15
Electoral Ward/Division: Tottenham Green
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
800/0/10084 TOTTENHAM GREEN
24-JUL-02 War memorial
War Memorial. 1923. Bronze statue of angel representing Peace by L.F. Roslyn RBS, standing on a shaft and base of grey Cornish granite (from the Kit Hill quarry, Callington) by W. Griffiths and Sons Ltd, masons. Standing laurel-crowned figure of angel with outstretched wings, standing on a hemispherical globe, holding a wreath; the pleated front of her gown decorated with reliefs of angels. The tapering shaft has a bronze sword to the front, and reliefs of garlands with fillets on each face at the top. Main inscription reads 'Erected by the inhabitants of TOTTENHAM in grateful memory of her sons who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 1939-1945. Stepped base with inscriptions on upper section: to south, 'Greater love hath no man than this'; to the west, 'Their name liveth for evermore'; to east, 'Pass not without remembrance'. Corner posts of granite with chains.
HISTORY: unveiled by HRH Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll (assisted by an orphan boy) on 17th June 1923 in the presence of some 40,000 people. This monument was erected by Tottenham District Council at a cost of £2,000, on a prominent site close to the town hall. Over 35,000 men from the area served in the Great War; over 2,000 were killed. A memorial fund was opened in July 1922 and the cost was raised by subscription.
SOURCES: Tottenham and Ewdmonton Weekly Herald, 22 June 1923.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings