This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5872 / 51°35'13"N
Longitude: -0.0722 / 0°4'20"W
OS Eastings: 533650
OS Northings: 189353
OS Grid: TQ336893
Mapcode National: GBR H9.QGQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.PCPL
Entry Name: Tottenham Town Hall
Listing Date: 9 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1249634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201533
Location: Haringey, London, N15
Electoral Ward/Division: Tottenham Green
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
TOWN HALL APPROACH ROAD
TQ 3389 26/286 Tottenham Town Hall
Town Hall. Built 1904-5 by A S Taylor and R Jemmett. English bond red brick
with Portland stone bands and dressings; hipped Welsh slate roofs; brick stacks
with moulded stone caps. Edwardian Baroque style. 2 storeys. 1:3:1 fenestration
with taller central block brought forward. Panelled central door set in square-
headed rusticated surround flanked by rusticated Tuscan pilasters. Rusticated
flat stone arches with pronounced keystones over ground-floor windows, each
of 2-lights with moulded stone aprons. First floor of central block: tall windows
with glazing bars set under semi-circular Gibbs-surround arches flanked by Ionic
pilasters to sides and engaged columns to centre, all with festoons hung from
volutes; Tuscan corner pilasters; modillioned cornice with pulvinated frieze
and segmental flanked by triangular open pediments over windows. Outer bays
each have modillioned cornice with open pediment over similar tall window. Urn
finials to coping and original rainwater heads with modillioned cornices and
ball pendants. Two-bay side walls in matching style. Baroque-style cupola to
roof. Buildings to rear of yellow brick, enclose small quadrangle with sash
windows. Interior: wrought-iron lanterns in porch. Mosaic floors to hall and
first floor landing. Hall has open and blind arcading and double-flight Halianate
marble staircase with turned balusters and Art Nouveau wrought-iron lanterns;
first-floor of stair hall is also arcaded, with pilasters and cartouches beneath
modillioned cornice and parelled ceiling; stained-glass Art Nouveau windows.
Council Chamber to front of first floor has panelled dado and frieze with
cartouches, each having modillioned cornice; public gallery with twisted balusters
to balcony; domed plaster ceiling in Moorish style with strapwork patterns.
The Town Hall is the centrepiece of a group of 3 municipal buildings, each inter-
linked by iron gateways, designed by Jemmett and Taylor for Tottenham Borough
Council. (The Builder, April 14, 1904).
Listing NGR: TQ3365089353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings