This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5776 / 52°34'39"N
Longitude: -1.0005 / 1°0'1"W
OS Eastings: 467829
OS Northings: 298218
OS Grid: SP678982
Mapcode National: GBR 9PQ.CWD
Mapcode Global: WHFKX.LGST
Plus Code: 9C4WHXHX+2R
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061587
English Heritage Legacy ID: 191031
ID on this website: 101061587
Location: St Andrew's Church, Burton Overy, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE8
Civil Parish: Burton Overy
Built-Up Area: Burton Overy
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Carlton Curlieu and Burton Overy
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Tagged with: Church building
MAIN STREET (West Side)
3/9 Church of St. Andrew
Church. Late C13-C15, C17 and restored 1864-8. Coursed rubble stone, ashlar
and red brick in small part, with quoins and leaded and copper roofs.
Buttresses with set-offs to chancel and N. chancel chapel. W. tower, nave, N.
aisle, chancel, N. chancel chapel, and S. porch. Tower of late C13 and early
C14 of 3 stages. Plinth, W. window with C19 stained glass, S.l-light and
clockface on 1st stage, 4 2-light bell openings with Y+Geometric tracery, and
battlements. Double chamfered nave arch, the inner on semi-circular
responds. 3 bay N. arcade with double chamfered arches on circular piers. W.
respond semi-circular and E. respond on grotesque head stop. 3 S. windows
with Perp. tracery, 2 flat-topped. Perp. clerestory with 3 2-lights to N,
blank to S. Restored 4 bay low-pitch cranked tie-beam roof with wall pieces
and slightly curved braces supported on stone corbels. These have carved
heads on lower edge. Roof has 2 central bosses. N. aisle has N.W. window
with Y tracery, N. doorway (plastered within but visible without) and
flat-topped N. window with restored Perp. tracery. Much restored 4 bay
tie-beam roof inscribed "1636 - W.H.". Moulded tie beams and purlins, and
carved bosses. N. chapel has 2 N. 3-light windows and E. 5-light, all with
Perp. tracery. Perp. 2 bay N. arcade and doorway to chancel. Piscina. C19
roof. Large gargoyle outside valley between roofs of chapel and chancel.
Chancel is without arch to nave, and has 5-light E. window with Perp. tracery
and C19 stained glass. 3 S.windows with Perp. tracery, 2 flat-topped with
stained glass of 1882 and 1890, and a 3-light with stained glass of 1857 by
Powell. Piscina, triple sedilia, and small S. doorway. C19 3 bay low-pitch
tie-beam roof. Many-moulded S. doorway. Ashlar S. porch with parapetted
Welsh slate roof. Diagonal buttresses with gargoyles and crocketted finials.
Many-moulded doorway with segmental arch. On each side of the porch a paired
2-light. Over archway a stone inscribed 'R.F. 1618', probably for
restoration. Probably C13 round font. Restored Perp. chancel screen. Series
of late C18/early C19 wall monuments in marble and slate, including Henry
Coleman, died 1779, and Frances, wife of Rev. W. Southworth Lee, died 1792,
both by Firmadge of Leicester, and Hnery Coleman, died 1813, by Tyley of
Bristol, and his wife Hester, died 1822, by Hull and Pollard. Georgian Royal
Arms carved in high relief and painted. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol. V.
Listing NGR: SP6782998218
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings