This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5503 / 52°33'0"N
Longitude: -0.8783 / 0°52'41"W
OS Eastings: 476153
OS Northings: 295305
OS Grid: SP761953
Mapcode National: GBR BRM.0RK
Mapcode Global: VHDQM.Q5J9
Plus Code: 9C4XH42C+4M
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061695
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190777
Location: Cranoe, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16
Civil Parish: Cranoe
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Cranoe St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SP 79 NE CRANOE CHURCH HILL (West Side)
4/2 Church of St. Michael
Parish Church. Almost entirely rebuilt by J.G. Bland of Market Harborough
in 1849, retaining the C13 and C14 tower. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Plain tiled roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. Tower is built
into sloping ground, of three stages, the lowest apparently C13 of ironstone
and limestone squared rubble. Small western lancet. Paired foiled lights
to bell chamber. Embattled parapet. Buttressed nave, with plinth and sill
course. Windows of 2 and 3 foiled lights in Decorated style. Large south
porch, buttressed and with coped gable, the outer arch shafted and hollow chamfered,
and Perpendicular style lights in east and west walls. Embattled parapets
to nave, the embattling continuing over the steep east gable. Ridge cresting.
Decorated windows in buttressed chancel 2 and 3-lights to south, 3 to east.
Plain parapet, decorative tiles and ridge cresting.
Inside a wide nave with chamfered west tower arch on Victorian corbels. Interior
of south door has Perpendicular style stilted arch. King post roof with long
raking braces from angel corbels. Shafted and hollow chamfered chancel arch
flanked by commandment boards. Small chancel, only the altar raised above
the general floor level. Encaustic tiles. C13 font, a rough round basin.
Stained glass : all windows have small angel figures in upper lights. The
east window is a memorial to a member of the Brudenall family of 1846 by Powell;
a lacy pattern with geometric design incorporating heraldic emblems and a central
panel depicting the deposition from the cross. South east window of nave is
a memorial to a Count of Cardigan who died in 1868 and although the colour
is garish, the detail, the Good Samaritan story, is delicate and mediaeval
in feel. Nave north east window of 1875, the rich colours and mannered style
owing much to the Preraphaelite movement.
Listing NGR: SP7615395305
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings