This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.915 / 52°54'53"N
Longitude: -0.6407 / 0°38'26"W
OS Eastings: 491498
OS Northings: 336145
OS Grid: SK914361
Mapcode National: GBR DQ4.6TJ
Mapcode Global: WHGKH.4Z5Q
Plus Code: 9C4XW975+XP
Entry Name: Church of St Wulfram
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 192904
Location: Grantham St. Wulfram's, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG31
Electoral Ward/Division: Grantham St Wulfram's
Built-Up Area: Grantham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Grantham St Wulfram
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 9136 SW GRANTHAM
607/7/1 Church of St Wulfram
196 x 75 feet. Probable Salisbury influence. North aisle arcades, except
for the 2 west bays, date from before 1180. North aisle rebuilt circa 1250.
1350 South aisle lengthened and Lady Chapel built, 1450 North aisle extended.
St. Katherine's Chapel added after 1496 by the Hall family, Church restored
by Sir G G Scott 1866-75. Of special interest are window frames of various
periods, use of ballflower ornament, crypt chapel. North porch built to
house saints' relics, and chaired library (circa 1598) over South porch
formerly a priests' living room. Chief feature is the slender crocketed
spire which stands 282 feet 6 inches from the ground to top of cross.
Tabernacles with statues of cherubims above small broaches, are distinct
from 4 lower lucarres with ballflower, second tier of lucarres open in
diagonals, blank in main directions, reversed in top tier. Photograph
Listing NGR: SK9149836145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings