This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.89 / 52°53'24"N
Longitude: -0.4081 / 0°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 507198
OS Northings: 333696
OS Grid: TF071336
Mapcode National: GBR FRY.ZJY
Mapcode Global: WHGKS.PMV8
Entry Name: The Greyhound
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 22 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1062747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194313
Location: Folkingham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34
Civil Parish: Folkingham
Built-Up Area: Folkingham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: South Lafford
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/06/2017
MARKET PLACE (north side)
No 37, The Greyhound
(Formerly listed as Greyhound Antique Shop, WEST STREET, previously listed as Greyhound Hotel)
Coaching Inn with Assize Court and Assembly room, now apartments. c.1650, c.1730, 1788-9, early and late C19, C20.
Limestone rubble and ashlar, red brick with ashlar dressings. Plain tile and pantile roofs with stone coped gables, gable stacks, three ridge stacks on south front and tall C20 lateral stack to rear. U-plan. Three storey, seven bay south front of 1788-90 with ashlar plinth with two small two-light mullion basement windows to right. Ashlar first and second floor bands, moulded eaves cornice with brick parapet above. Ashlar quoins including a two storey vertical line of quoins dividing the fifth and sixth bays from the left and defining the position of the single storey Assize Court and Assembly Room inside. Central carriage archway with basket arch and moulded ashlar surround with scrolled keystone. Doorway inserted in late C19 with central, double, partially glazed doors flanked by Doric pilasters which are carried up into the overlight above, and are flanked by single narrow glazing bar sashes. Doorway flanked by two glazing bar sashes on each side with serpentine lintels and raised keystones. Window above carriage arch with semi-circular head, scrolled ashlar keystone and glazing bars with radiating spokes. Window flanked by two glazing bar sashes on each side, all with serpentine lintels and raised keystones. Venetian window breaks through first floor band in the last two bays to the right, with a moulded ashlar architrave, scrolled keystone over semi-circular central light and glazing bar sashes. Seven smaller glazing bar sashes above, all with serpentine lintels and raised keystones.
Painted sundial on brick parapet over central bay. Two low C17 wings to rear with lower ranges attached to north. Brick two storey, three bay late C18 north side of main south range with broad ashlar first floor band and decorative eaves. Central doorway with double partially glazed doors and flanked by single glazing bar sashes; all three openings with wedge lintels. Semi-circular headed window above.
West side of C17 north-east range remodelled in late C18 with canted bay window to right with fixed glazing bars, a two-light casement to left with a four-light fixed window with transom beyond, both the latter with wedge lintels and raised ashlar keystones. Glazing bar sash to right with wooden lintel. Dummy oval garret window in north gable with ashlar, keyed architrave. Lower range to north with two-light casement with wedge lintel and raised ashlar keystone.
C17 east side of north-west range remodelled in late C18 with two storeys and garret and three bay front with decorated eaves and masonry break between first and second bays to right. Doorway to left with damaged ashlar surround, stone lintel and glazing bar door. Glazing bar sash to right with ashlar wedge lintel and raised keystone. Doorway beyond with wooden lintel, ashlar wedge lintel with raised keystone above, and panelled door.
Lower single storey C17 range with attic, attached to north, remodelled in C18 with decorated brick eaves and three bays. Doorway to left with head askew, wooden lintel and panelled door. Canted bay window to right with fixed glazing bars and glazing bar sash beyond with wooden lintel. Two flat headed dormers above with two-light casements.
Pine five flight return staircase of c.1730 with two turned banisters to each tread, with square knops, carved tread ends and moulded handrail sweeping upwards to newels. Fielded panelled dadoes on staircase walls. Late C17 oak five flight return staircase with simply moulded, turned banisters and broad, heavy moulded handrail.
Assize Court and Assembly Room with delicately moulded ornate cornice; two oval plaques depicting Justice and Mercy; plain grey marble fireplace with beaded, moulded bands and fielded panelled dado.
Parlour with ornate late C18 fireplace with flanking fluted columns, entablature and plaque containing lyre and leaves; moulded cornice with bands of egg and dart.
Mid C17 stone fireplace in north-west range with simply moulded surround with very flat profile. Large C17 inglenook fireplace in room to north with chamfered bressumer. Early C18 cupboard above doorway. Large early C18 fireplace in north-west range with stone segmental head.
Large chamfered beams and staggered purlin roofs in C17 ranges.
Listing NGR: TF0719833696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings