This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3667 / 53°21'59"N
Longitude: -0.0081 / 0°0'29"W
OS Eastings: 532637
OS Northings: 387382
OS Grid: TF326873
Mapcode National: GBR XYDH.1V
Mapcode Global: WHHJS.VMBX
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063264
English Heritage Legacy ID: 194893
Location: Louth, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Louth
Built-Up Area: Louth
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Louth
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF 38 NW LOUTH
824/1/19 Parish Church of St James
A magnificent church, rebuilt mainly in the early C15 and substantially unaltered, except for the tower of about 60 years later and the 2 porches, which date from the 1861-1869 restoration by James Fowler, who removed the galleries, relaid the floor and inserted the present reredos. The chapel on the North side of the chancel contains 2 angels in wood, the only survivors from the roof of the original building, and some renovated mediaeval stalls. Vestry contains the Sudbury Hutch, with carved medallions of Henry VII and his wife.
Parish Church forms a group with Nos 6 to 36 (even) & The Bridge, Bridge Street and with The Rectory and Nos 6 to 12 (even) Upgate: Nos 1, 5 to 9 and 15 to 29 (odd) Upgate and with Nos 43 to 47 (odd) and 82 and 84 Westgate and Nos 13 and 15 Chequergate.
Listing NGR: TF3264987379
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings