This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2854 / 53°17'7"N
Longitude: 0.1003 / 0°6'1"E
OS Eastings: 540114
OS Northings: 378549
OS Grid: TF401785
Mapcode National: GBR YZ4F.JZ
Mapcode Global: WHJLC.HPZ6
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 9 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196068
Location: Belleau, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
Civil Parish: Belleau
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Strubby Wold Marsh St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
BELLAU MAIN STREET
TF 47 NW
2/2 Church of St.John
9.3.67 the Baptist
Parish church. C13, largely rebuilt in 1862 by C. E. Giles.
Greenstone ashlar with limestone ashlar bands and dressings.
Banded Welsh and Westmoreland slates, decorative tiled ridges,
stone coped gables with crosses fleury. Western tower, nave with
aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. C19 2 stage tower with
pyramidal slate roof behind parapet on corbelled pointed arches.
Corner buttresses and chamfered string course. To belfry stage
are 2 pointed openings with common hoods. 2 light west window
with quatrefoil over. The north aisle has a lancet in the west
and 3 C19 2 light plate traceried windows. In the vestry are 2
two light lancets with carved impost between and a doorway with
shouldered head. At the east side an ashlar chimney with
chamfered top. The chancel north side has a single lancet and at
the east end 3 stepped lancets under a pointed hood. On the
south side a pair and a single lancet and a doorway with reused
late C13 pointed head, now with C19 side shafts. The east wall
of the south aisle has a pair of lancets with quatrefoil and in
the south wall is a similar pair of windows and 3 stepped
lancets. At the west end a single lancet. The gabled south
porch has a pointed outer doorway with side shafts. The inner
doorway is late C13 with continuous filleted roll mouldings and
moulded hood. Interior. 3 bay late C13 nave arcades with
octagonal shafts and moulded capitals, double chamfered arches.
C13 tower double chamfered arch now with C19 corbels. At the
east end are pointed doorways to rood loft stair and loft.
Double C13 chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. In
the chancel north wall are 2 C19 moulded and pointed arches with
fluted corbels. On the south wall a handsome early C14 piscina,
cupsed ogee head with crockets and pinnacles. On the north wall
a contemporary statue bracket with foliage and a 2 tier aumbry.
On the east wall a C19 stone reredos with polished jewels, some
inlay and foliate carving. Above the east window has collared
and shafted rear arches. All fittings are C19 including the
panelled stone pulpit with inlaid panels of foliage, shafted base
and stiff leaf decorated top. Octagonal, possibly C17, font,
with roll moulded surround to the panels. Monuments. In the
south aisle a late C13 effigy of a knight, recumbent in chain
mail, and a surcoat. Feet on a lion, angle supporters to either
side of the pillowed head. The monument is supposed to have come
from the site of the Cistercian Priory at Greenfield, Aby. In
the porch a fragment of a carving possibly Cll.
Listing NGR: TF4011478549
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings