This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4248 / 53°25'29"N
Longitude: -2.93 / 2°55'48"W
OS Eastings: 338297
OS Northings: 392406
OS Grid: SJ382924
Mapcode National: GBR 7JG.58
Mapcode Global: WH877.Y5XS
Plus Code: 9C5VC3F9+WX
Entry Name: Church of St John Baptist
Listing Date: 28 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063778
English Heritage Legacy ID: 359734
Location: Liverpool, L13
Electoral Ward/Division: Tuebrook and Stoneycroft
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Tuebrook St John
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ 3892 WEST DERBY ROAD
21/1352 Church of
28.6.52 St. John Baptist
Church. 1868-70. G. F. Bodley. Cream stone with red stone
dressings and random banding, tile roofs, with slate roofs
to aisles. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west
tower, chancel and north chapel, south organ loft and
vestry, short passage leading to deatched vestry. Tower has
angle buttresses with gabled traceried panels. West
entrance and 3-light window above with intersecting tracery.
Top stage has 2-light louvred bell openings. Panelled
parapet with pinnacles and spire on octagonal drum with 41
gabled 2-light openings. Lean-to stair turret to south-east
angle. 5-bay nave has 2-light clerestory windows, and 3-
light nave windows between buttresses. One segmental pointed
window to north aisle and south gabled arch. Porch with
flat roof and parapet, and statue in niche over entrance.
North chapel has 2 paired 2-light windows with statue of St.
Mark in niche; 3-light east window. Chancel has 5-light
east window with intersecting tracery and 3-light south
window. Vestry has unusual fluted gutter spout. Detached
vestry has 2-light window to Green Lane and 2 square-headed
2-light windows flanking lateral stack to south; connecting
passage has timber continuous traceried window of 6 lights,
with entrance. Interior has arcades on octagonal piers.
Walls are richly stencilled above sill level,roofs are also
stencilled.Wall painted above chancel arch by Kempe (a rare
example). Fittings are all richly painted. Nave has
octagonal front or panelled base with marble shafts;
pyramidal cover and lectern. Tower now has chapel of the
Holy Rood; reredos, alter and credence table adapted from
rood screen, 1890, by Bodley, taken from Dunstable Priory.
Chancel screen has ribbed coving and loft parapet, chapels
have similar screens, south chapel in end of aisle has
screen behind reredos. Chancel has canopied stalls,
parclose screen to north, organ to south. Rich reredos.
Brass to Father Brockman, 1925. East and south windows by
Morris and Co. Vestry has painted ceiling, passage has
arch-braced cambered tie beams, detached vestry has cope-
chests. A fine example of Bodley's early work with a
remarkably complete interior, one of the finest examples of
Listing NGR: SJ3829592405
Other nearby listed buildings