This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1876 / 52°11'15"N
Longitude: -2.2202 / 2°13'12"W
OS Eastings: 385043
OS Northings: 254399
OS Grid: SO850543
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.X2T
Mapcode Global: VH92T.G8MS
Plus Code: 9C4V5QQH+3W
Entry Name: Choir House and the Old Library
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063818
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488651
Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Library building
SO8554SW COLLEGE GREEN
620-1/20/159 (South East side)
05/04/71 Nos.4 AND 4A
Choir House and the Old
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.4 AND 4A)
Terraced buildings returning and forming the SE corner of the
Green, previously service ranges, now part of King's School.
That to left (east side of the Green) of 1910; designed by A.
Hill Parker and built by Stokes Brothers. To the right (south
side), coach house and stables; rebuilt 1845; architect AE
Perkins; converted for school use by A. Hill Parker, 1908 and
1909. Red and cream sandstone. Slate roofs, that to left laid
to diminishing courses; parapeted eaves and gables. Left house
has stone stack to right gable end with string course, cornice
and pots. Right-hand building has brick stacks with
oversailing details and pots; dormers in mock timber-framing
to far right. Ornate lead hopper head to far left. L-shaped,
single-depth plan. Left house: Symmetrical composition in
Tudor style; 2 full-height window bays break forward slightly,
parapeted gables; linking range to each end. 2-storeys. 5
first-floor windows. Stonework is ashlar, mostly a punched
finish with drafted margins; detailing includes plinth;
moulded string course over heads of ground-floor and below
sills of first-floor windows; central canopied niche rising
from upper string course with statue, cartouche below
inscribed "HHW"; parapet copings, crenellated to eaves;
finials to gables; shield to left bearing school crest.
Multi-pane metal-framed casement windows, the four principal
being tri-partite mullion and transom, those to upper floor
have cambered heads. Mullion and double transom window to left
has square leaded-light glazing. Wide arched opening below
with vertically boarded door and side-lights. Arch-headed
vertically boarded door to far right. Right house: Asymmetric
gabled elevation in Tudor style. Part single-, part 2-storey.
5 first-floor windows. Stonework is punched ashlar; detailing
includes chamfered sills and window surrounds, gable copings
and finials, blank shield to left-hand parapet and to tympanum
of adjacent 2 windows to right. Fenestration to left facade is
lancet, mullion, mullion
and transom, all with square leaded glazing; that to right is
6/6 and 4/4 sashes apart from two 6-pane paired side-hung
casements. 4-centred arch entrance to extreme left, vertically
boarded door with overlight and sidelights. Further boarded
door with arched head to centre. Part-glazed panelled door
with arched head to far right.
INTERIOR: Right house has carved stone brackets to timber
ceiling and carved stone fireplace. Left house has
stop-chamfered panelled doors in moulded wood architraves;
substantial joinery to open-well stair with diamond-set
balusters and tapered newels; principal reception room to
ground-floor right with timber ceiling and 'cottage-style'
timber surround, inglenook fireplace with carved brackets to
HISTORICAL NOTE: left-hand building constructed as the
Woodward Memorial Extension to Choir House. Herbert Hall
Woodward was precentor from 1890-1909. AE Perkins was
architect also of extensions to Nos 10 & 10A College Green
(qv) and of Eld Hall, Upper Tything (qv). A. Hill Parker was
the architect of several extensions on College Green including
Nos. 4 and 4A; No.5 and No.6 (qqv); he was architect also of
Perrins Hall, Upper Tything (qv).
All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a
significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral
(qv) to the north side. The rear boundary wall to Nos. 2-6
College Green (qqv) is part of the Monastic Precinct Wall
(Scheduled Ancient Monument).
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 334; Worcester Cathedral
Publications: Knowles Joan M: College Green Worcester
1800-1900: Worcester: 1995-).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings