This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1876 / 52°11'15"N
Longitude: -2.2209 / 2°13'15"W
OS Eastings: 384997
OS Northings: 254393
OS Grid: SO849543
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.WWC
Mapcode Global: VH92T.G88V
Plus Code: 9C4V5QQH+2M
Entry Name: Castle House
Listing Date: 5 April 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488653
Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8554SW COLLEGE GREEN
620-1/20/161 (South side)
Large house, now part of school. Abuts No.5 to left. Late C18
origins, partially rebuilt c1900 by A. Hill Parker (architect)
and Stokes Brothers (builders) following extensive fire; later
additions and alterations. Painted stucco, painted rough-cast
and painted brick, stone dressings; tile-hung second-floor.
Plain clay tile roofs, that to right hipped. Modillioned
eaves. Bracketted eaves to gable of canted bay. End stacks,
brick to left, stucco to right, all with oversailing detail
and pots. Timber doorcase. Double-fronted, double-depth plan.
Through-passage to right ground-floor flanked by sandstone
wall (qv) to west. 2 and 3-storeys with attic. 4 first-floor
windows. Stone detailing includes all sills and moulded string
to heads of ground-floor windows. 2-storey range to left set
back slightly, full-height canted bay, centre mullions,
4/1:4/1:4/1:4/1. Windows to main range are all 6/6. Those to
ground and first-floor windows are near-flush with moulded
architraves. 6/6 sashes to second-floor. Central 6-panel door,
top pair glazed, raised and fielded to centre, bottom pair
flush-beaded. 3-pane overlight; 'Tower of Winds' style columns
to doorcase, frieze and cornice. Door to passage at extreme
right, 6-panel raised and fielded with bolection moulding;
moulded architrave, small cornice. Gabled dormer with paired
6-pane side-hung casements. Further ranges to left return and
to rear. Lower part of right-return wall (qv) is sandstone
ashlar, part of another earlier structure.
INTERIOR: late C18 joinery, including panelled doors in
moulded timber architraves; late C19 decorative plasterwork to
first-floor right; staircase and fire surrounds with Art
Nouveau detail of c1900.
All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a
significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral
(qv) to the north side. The rear boundary wall to Nos. 2-6
College Green (qqv) is part of the Monastic Precinct Wall
(Scheduled Ancient Monument).
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 334; Worcester Cathedral
Publications: Knowles Joan M: College Green Worcester
1800-1900: Worcester: 1995-).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings