History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1919 / 52°11'30"N

Longitude: -2.224 / 2°13'26"W

OS Eastings: 384785

OS Northings: 254876

OS Grid: SO847548

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.GKC

Mapcode Global: VH92T.D5MJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 22 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488620

Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

Town: Worcester

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Worcester

Listing Text


WORCESTER

SO8454NE BROAD STREET
620-1/16/137 (South side)
22/5/54 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Formerly known as: Church of All Saints and All Hallows BROAD
STREET. Parish church. C15 first stage of tower, with earlier,
probably C12 origins and probably incorporating part of the City
Walls, rebuilt 1739-42 by Thomas White, alterations by Aston Webb
of 1889, tower restored 1913, further restorations c1990-5.
MATERIALS: Cotswold stone ashlar with sandstone rubble wall to
south-west, concealed roof. PLAN: 3-stage west tower, 6-bay
aisled nave and shallow chancel.
EXTERIOR: Tower: first stage has angle buttresses with off sets,
entrance on north side has pointed plank door with hollow
moulding to head and in square headed recess, 4-light west window
with Perpendicular tracery to head, moulded first stage band,
second stage has clasping paired pilasters with horizontal
rustication, round arched windows to 3 sides in tooled surrounds
with imposts, keystones and shaped sills, moulded cornice over
second stage, third stage has 2 belfry openings to each side with
round arched imposts with keystones and sills, crowning moulded
entablature with low parapet and 4 renewed urns with gadrooned
bases. Nave: main facade to north, chamfered plinth, end
pilasters with horizontal rustication, crowning cornice and low
parapet. Entrance in second bay from west: double
8-raised-and-fielded-panel doors with blind, panelled fanlight
over, in tooled surround with impost and angel keystone in
architrave with fluted Doric pilasters, frieze with triglyphs and
metopes and segmental pediment. 5 round-arched windows with
tooled surrounds, imposts and keystones, with moulded sills on
plain corbels. To west end of nave a similar round-arched window;
at either side of tower are curvilinear gable ends. South side
has 4 windows, the westernmost bay is blind, to second bay from
west an 8-raised-and-fielded-panel door with blind panelled
fanlight in tooled surround. Otherwise windows as north side.
East end, described by Pevsner as 'the real facade' with the most
impressive architectural treatment: to ends of chancel are paired
fluted giant Doric pilasters on continuous moulded plinth;
central large, round-arched window with architrave with panelled
pilasters and cherub-head to keystone, triglyphs and metopes over
pilasters, continuous cornice and pediment with bust of Bishop
Bough. To east end of south aisle: blank round-arched opening in
tooled surrounds and oculus over; to east end of north aisle:
double 8-raised-and-fielded-panel doors with blind, panelled
fanlight over, in tooled surround with impost and keystone in
tooled surround, oculus over.
INTERIOR: pointed, tower arch with 2 orders of hollow moulding
and one order of roll-moulding. 6 raised-and-fielded-panel door
to vestry. North entrance porch has 8 raised and fielded panel
double doors with panel over between pilasters and with cornice.
Nave has arcade of Doric columns on tall plinths which retain C18
raised and fielded panelling; half-columnar responds; C18 raised
and fielded panelling to dado approximately 1.75 metres high.
Flat-ceiled aisles and segmental vault to nave with panelled
'ribs' from columns, to chancel end the vault has more elaborate
panels with decorative arcades on fluted Corinthian columns with
bands of foliate decoration.
FITTINGS: Reredos: tripartite, with Corinthian pilasters and
segmental pediment, painting by Josiah Rushton of the Royal
Worcester Porcelain Works, 1867. Pulpit incorporates C17 panels
of 4 evangelists. Screen between chancel and chancel aisles by
Aston Webb. Communion rail has fluted Doric columnar balusters
and shaped handrail. Stained glass: C15 fragments in west window,
and in windows to east and west ends of aisles. East window in
Pre-Raphaelite style; east wall painted in Pre-Raphaelite style,
presumably in 1889. Norman font in continuous use until 1878;
late-C19 font.
MONUMENTS: Edward Hurdman d1621 and wife: two large figures
kneeling by a prayer desk (context destroyed); painted wall
monument to Samuel Matthews, Alderman d1684 with demi-figure and
barley-twist columns with broken segmental pediment. Wall tablet
to Margery Symonds d1683. Good group of architectural type C18
wall tablets mainly by Richard Squire of Worcester, commemoration
plaque c1762 by Squire with medallion portrait of Queen Anne.
Greek Revival wall tablets by Preece of Worcester. HISTORICAL
NOTE: there is documentary evidence for earlier fabric: when the
tower was restored in 1913, traces of Norman work are said to
have been found. The earliest documentary reference to the church
is in 1125. The westernmost bay on the south side was originally
occupied by a school room. One of an important group of four
churches in Worcester which, in their present form, are largely
eighteenth century, with Church of St Martin, Cornmarket; Former
Church of St Nicholas, The Cross; and Church of St Swithin,
Church Street (qqv). Their towers, together with the Cathedral
(qv) and St Andrew's Church Tower, Deansway (qv), form the most
significant feature of Worcester's skyline. (The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985:
295, 317; Transactions of the Worcestershire Archaeological
Society: Baker N: 'The Urban Churches of Worcester, A Survey'::
Worcester: 1980-: 114-124).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.