This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4176 / 51°25'3"N
Longitude: 0.105 / 0°6'18"E
OS Eastings: 546470
OS Northings: 170837
OS Grid: TQ464708
Mapcode National: GBR QC.F4P
Mapcode Global: VHHNY.RMWL
Entry Name: Frognal House
Listing Date: 30 May 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064228
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198673
Location: Bexley, London, DA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Longlands
Built-Up Area: Bexley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Sidcup St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 4670 18/1 30.5.78
Large country house, mainly C17 and C18 external elevations, but older fragments
inside, the whole arranged around a courtyard. The south range contains remains
of a C15 timber-framed building of 2-bay hall and storeyed wing at east end;
C16 framed wing added at west end extending into west range; this now cased
in brick of late C17, 2 main storeys of red brick, 11 sash windows with glazing
bars, right hand pair of windows blind; brick band course, moulded cornice
and ramped parapet; central doorway with cornice on carved console brackets.
East range is founded on stone building of circa 1550; the stone foundation
survives to water table level on the east front; this range has been rebuilt
in C17 and early C18 and now has fine red brick front, 2 storeys and 11 segmental
headed sash windows with glazing bars, the right hand 2 windows an addition
at the time of the latest rebuilding; central doorway with flat hood on carved
console brackets. North and west ranges are service quarters, the north range
brick on stone foundations similar to the east range, the west range a C17
brick encasing of the Cl6 timber-framed added wing to original hall. Additions
to north-west include a C19 single storey ballroom and a short Cl9 2 storey
range joining main house to 5 window 2 storey C18 building in red brick.
Internal courtyard shows stone building surviving to first floor level on
east and north ranges, with fine galletted pointing; 4-centred stone head
to cellar door in east range; 2 blocked windows with stone surrounds, one
in upper wall of original kitchen, the other over original ground floor doorway,
in north range; this doorway has pegged and chamfered wooden jambs. Staircase
tower in south-east corner of courtyard contains early C18 staircase with
fluted and turned balusters and carved tread-ends. The east range contains
a blocked original C16 fireplace at south end and inserted C17 chimney stack
in the centre; on the first floor is an 8 bay gallery with raised and fielded
panelling and white marble bolection chimney piece between giant fluted Corinthian
pilasters ; back stairs at north end of range are C17, originally lit by now
blocked window with stone surround. North range contains 2 original blocked
fireplaces, a window with original wood surround and ferramenta on north wall
and 2 original timber-framed partitions. The west room on ground floor in
the south range contains a bolection moulded marble chimney piece.
House owned in early C16. by Markes Dyngley whose will (1550) refers to a new
cellar and a new chamber; early C17 owner Sir William Watkins is said to have
improved the house; subsequent owners included Sir Philip Warwick (ob 1683,
see D.N.B.), the Tryon family and the Viscounts Sydney (first Viscount, ob.
1800, see D.N.B.); became a hospital in 1917; consent for use as offices given
Reference: Webb, History of Chislehurst, 1899.
Listing NGR: TQ4647070837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings