History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lilly's Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Diseworth, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8165 / 52°48'59"N

Longitude: -1.3293 / 1°19'45"W

OS Eastings: 445301

OS Northings: 324534

OS Grid: SK453245

Mapcode National: GBR 7HR.DR6

Mapcode Global: WHDHG.KG7P

Entry Name: Lilly's Cottage

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Last Amended: 16 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064266

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358230

Location: Long Whatton and Diseworth, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Long Whatton and Diseworth

Built-Up Area: Diseworth

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Diseworth St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Castle Donington

Listing Text

LONG WHATTON HALL GATE
SK 4424-4524
(Diseworth)
12/183
No 54 (Lilly's Cottage)
7.12.62
(includes part formerly
listed as No 5 Peacock
Cottage)
GV
II*

House, formerly 2 dwellings. Originally C15, extended mid C16, left wing
rebuilt C17 and altered C19, all refurbished 1950s. Timber frame on rubble
stone plinth, the left side and far end of left wing rebuilt. thatched roof.
Brick chimney shafts to left of C16 wing and to front corner far end on left wing. L-plan,
2 storeys. C16 WING to right is of 3 bays and has fine close studding with
curved braces and colourwashed render infill. Just below eaves line on north
side are pairs of small wind-eyes for ventilating upper storey. Irregular C20
casements, the north side with large 4-light wooden casement to ground floor
left, 2-light casement to right of centre, 3 single metal lights between studs
to first floor left, and 2-light horizontal sash to first floor centre. Ground
floor windows have wooden glazing bars. South side has C20 barred wooden
casements, one semi-dormer to left, and traces of a small original 3-light
window to first floor. C17 WING has large rectangular panels of brick infill,
the front with 3-light horizontal sash and C20 door to cross passage at right
side. Door has C20 thatched hood. INTERIOR: cruck truss with yoked apex to
right of cross passage; plastered cross passage wall with graffiti dated 31
March 1692, with the initials of Richard Lilly, and small drawings of hands,
stars, a tower and a steeple; heavy floor joists in C16 wing; heavy stud
partition between ground floor left bays of same wing; timber-framed fire hood
between right bays; altered roof trusses. Home of William Lilly, 1602-81,
notorious court astrologer. An inventory of the goods of a William Lillye,
1635, presumably relating to this house, survives in Leicester Record Office and
is printed in M W Barley, The English Farmhouse and Cottage, 1961 and 1967,
p.278-9.


Listing NGR: SK4530124534

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.