This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6789 / 52°40'44"N
Longitude: -0.1644 / 0°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 524192
OS Northings: 310606
OS Grid: TF241106
Mapcode National: GBR HYN.17W
Mapcode Global: WHHN0.FXXM
Plus Code: 9C4XMRHP+H6
Entry Name: School
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064514
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197980
Location: Crowland, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE6
Civil Parish: Crowland
Built-Up Area: Crowland
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Crowland St Mary and St Bartholomew and St Guthlac
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
CROWLAND POSTLAND ROAD
TF 2410-2510 (north west side)
School. 1856. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings.
Slate roofs with stone coped gables and single ridge stack.
Single storey with central gabled section with 2 storeys and
garret, 13 bays. Ashlar dressed plinth. Central 3 bays with
doorway with flush ashlar quoined surround, shallow triangular
head, overlight with 2 pointed lights, hood mould, and single
head label stop; lower basket arch and panelled door. 2 cross
mullion windows with continuous hood moulds, to the left. Above
to the left is an oriel window with blind, cusped frieze, and 3
shallow, pointed lights above. Stepped stone roof and segmental
relieving arch. 3 light mullion window to the right, the outer
lights with pointed, cusped heads. To right a similar single
light is set at a slightly lower level. This bay extends to form
a bell tower with corbel table with small foliate motifs.
Slightly projecting, tapering turret above with ashlar quoins,
topped with octagonal ashlar bell stage with 8 pointed, cusped
openings, and surmounted by ashlar spire with small finial.
Either side of the projecting gabled bays are single lean-tos;
each with single 3 light mullion windows to the front, and
pointed doorways in the return walls with hood moulds, head label
stops and plank doors. Beyond, on each side, are 4 windows, all
ashlar dressed and with paired, shallow pointed lights. 2 gabled
ventilator openings in roof above, on each side, with ornate
wrought iron finials and trefoil openings. Return walls each
with a pointed doorway with ashlar quoined surround, hood mould
and single label stop; and a large pointed 5 light window with
upper 3 lights above transom, all with pointed heads. Small
quatrefoil in apex.
Listing NGR: TF2419210606
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings