This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5111 / 51°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.0937 / 0°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 532384
OS Northings: 180855
OS Grid: TQ323808
Mapcode National: GBR RD.3G
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.B8BX
Entry Name: Church of St James Garlickhithe
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064669
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199485
Location: City of London, London, EC4V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Vintry
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St James Garlickhythe
Church of England Diocese: London
GARLICK HILL EC4
Church of St James
TQ 3280 NW 15/408 4.1.50.
1674-87, by Wren. Aisled building with central transepts and clerestory, arranged
within a rectangle from which a sanctuary and west tower project. Red brick with
stone dressings, the walls below clerestory level stuccoed. Round arched windows,
those in transepts reduced to circles; segmental arches to clerestory. Blocked
north doorway. Main cornice of stone with brick parapet. Wooden cornice to clerestory.
West front of stone with scrolls flanking tower which is now largely faced with
Portland stone. Tower plain with pierced parapet and 4 urns. Elaborate stone
lantern in 3 stages with paired Ionic columns etc. Beneath the tower is domed
lobby. Interior has order of Ionic columns on high panelled pedestals, supporting
clerestory and high, coved ceiling. West gallery With 2 decorative iron supports
and fine organ case of 1697. Other good C17 fittings (not all original to church)
include pulpit, marble font with cover, stalls, panelling, communion table and
remade reredos. 2 staircases to gallery probably early C18. Painting of resurrection
at east end. Wall monuments.
Listing NGR: TQ3238480856
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings