This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5153 / 51°30'55"N
Longitude: -0.0925 / 0°5'32"W
OS Eastings: 532458
OS Northings: 181325
OS Grid: TQ324813
Mapcode National: GBR RB.DZ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.B5ZP
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence Jewry
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199500
Location: City of London, London, EC2V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Cheap
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Vedast Foster Lane
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3281 SW 9/233
GRESHAM STREET EC2 (North Side)
Church of St Lawrence Jewry
(Formerly listed as Remains of Church of St Lawrence Jewry)
1670-86, by Wren. Rectangular body with north aisle and west tower flanked by
vestibule and chapel. Interior destroyed in World War II and rebuilt in near facsimile
but with clergy house inserted into west end of north aisle. Exterior of Portland
stone with round arched windows and segmental arches to the attic or clerestory.
East elevation richly treated with engaged Corinthian portico on high pedestal,
with pediment against attic. South side has circular windows at either end above
doorways (eastern one now blocked). North side of rubble with Portland stone dressings.
Plain west front with 2 windows and central doorway with tower rising above. This
has an entablature and balustrade with 4 obelisks, crowned by a lead covered lantern
and spire. Fine interior with Corinthian pilasters supporting heavily beamed ceiling.
No old fittings.
Listing NGR: TQ3245881325
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings