This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5114 / 51°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.0868 / 0°5'12"W
OS Eastings: 532864
OS Northings: 180895
OS Grid: TQ328808
Mapcode National: GBR SD.ND
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.F8ZQ
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064699
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199374
Location: City of London, London, EC4N
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Candlewick
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Clement Eastcheap
Church of England Diocese: London
CLEMENT'S LANE EC4
Church of St Clement
TQ 3280 NE 16/446 4.1.50.
1683 to 87, by Wren. Rectangular body with short south aisle and south-west tower.
Exterior now stuccoed with some stone dressings. Round-arched principal windows
and segmentally arched openings above, many now blind and some upper ones altered. Recessed, round arched west door (altered) with 3 windows above (central 1 blind). Cornice, central pediment and shaped parapet. Reduced cornice to north elevation. Doorway at west end and main windows all blocked. East elevation has 3 main windows only, differing sill heights. Vestry, partly C17, very plain. Simple tower with round arched and circular windows mullioned openings to belfry and crowning balustrade.
Interior has order of Corinthian pilasters above high wainscot with pair of columns to south aisle which formerly had gallery. Groined vault rising to flat ceiling with large circular panel in centre (renewed in 1925). Pattern of windows and blind panels is varied on east side with 3 large openings of differing sill height. Upper windows partly disturbed. 3 large lunettes over south aisle. Fine original fittings include large reredos (with later colouring), pulpit and tester, organ above entrance lobby, door cases, communion table and rails, stalls, marble font and cover etc.
Listing NGR: TQ3286480895
Other nearby listed buildings