This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5167 / 51°31'0"N
Longitude: -0.0829 / 0°4'58"W
OS Eastings: 533119
OS Northings: 181492
OS Grid: TQ331814
Mapcode National: GBR TB.JH
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.J41N
Plus Code: 9C3XGW88+MV
Entry Name: 8, Bishopsgate Churchyard
Listing Date: 5 March 1976
Last Amended: 3 June 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064751
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199321
Location: City of London, London, EC2M
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Bishopsgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Botolph without Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3381 SW
BISHOPSGATE CHURCHYARD EC2 (South Side)
(Formerly listed as the Gallipoli Restaurant)
Former Turkish baths, recently listed as a restaurant.1894-5 by S.Harold Elphick for James Forder Nevill; late C20 alterations. Faience tiles, terracotta and brick. Islamic style.
Small rectangular building with polygonal apse. Flat roof. Single storey with two main rooms below ground level approached by stair in apse. Apse clad in faience tiles being black at ground level, alternating bands of cream and brown to sill level and pale blue with a darker patterned frieze above. Eastern window star-shaped; flanking windows (two each side) lancets with shaped heads; all set in terracotta with stained glass and linked by continuous rich distended ogee woodmoulds. Deep terracotta entablature in elaborately ornate Islamic style which continues around the building. Crowning the apse, a copper octagonal lantern with multifoil stained glass lights and projecting bracketed cornice surmounted by a coloured glass onion dome with metal star and crescent finial. Entrance on the north side having an elaborately ornate Islamic style terracotta doorcase with attached columns and multifoil arch. To the right, a late C20 three-light window.
Good and unusual Islamic style tiled interior, lobby lined with ornate interlocking tiles, the design for which was registered by Elphick; pink and white dado, green and white above. Tiles continue down stairwell leading to lobby with tile framed mirror and two main rooms both with ornate multi-coloured tiled pillars, beams and cornices. One room with framed panels of interlocking tiles with shallow niches having multifoil arches on chevron enriched colonettes. Other room has tiled archway and panels of hand-painted tiles.
The baths remained in use until the 1950s. When built, the site was extremely cramped (Broad Street House stood over much of the baths) leaving only sufficient room for the small building above ground. The ingenuity of the planning was praised in The Builder for 9 February 1892.
Listing NGR: TQ3311981492
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings