This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6303 / 51°37'49"N
Longitude: -0.1745 / 0°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 526443
OS Northings: 193963
OS Grid: TQ264939
Mapcode National: GBR CV.W4Q
Mapcode Global: VHGQC.X9L2
Entry Name: 1264, High Road N20
Listing Date: 23 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198970
Location: Barnet, London, N20
Electoral Ward/Division: Oakleigh
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints Friern Barnet
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/01/2013
TQ 2693 16/5
HIGH ROAD N20 (east side)
House, now commercial premises. Late C15/early C16 and C18, with C19 and
C20 alterations. Front range of red brick in Flemish bond; rear range a
close-studded timber frame with wattle and daub infill, partly underbuilt and
replaced, and rendered; brick additions. Plain tile roofs with brick chimney.
C18 front range of 2 storeys and attic, 3 bays; 2-storey, 3-bay timber-framed range
to rear left; C19 lean-to to rear right;. C20 2-storey addition to end of
timber-framed range. Street elevation: 2 late C20 shop fronts with central passage
to recessed door. 1st floor: 3 sashes in reveals, the head breaking stopped
dentilled eaves-band; left corner rounded. Attic: 3 round-arched dormers with
6-pane sashes and overlights. Rear: front range has external stack with small
1st floor window on right. Timber-framed range has 6-panel part glazed door and
variety of C20 windows. Interior: front range at rear has 6 panel door (near stair)
and short section of chamfered spine-beam with stepped cyma stop. Timber-framed
range: frame survives best on 1st floor, where there are jowelled wall posts,
close-studded wall framing with long arched braces up to wall-platts and tie-beams;
in central bay a 2-light window with diamond-set mullion to rear wall and later
2-light window to right bay; tie-beams support crown posts which have straight
braces up to collar purlin (some braces removed), old rafters, apparently
smoke-blackened in end bays but not in centre. Ground floor retains some old wide
spaced joists and floorboards, and a sawn-off chamfered spine beam in right bay.
The front range probably replaces a pre-existing timber-framed building.
Documentary references to property on this site go back to 1504.
Listing NGR: TQ2644393963
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings