This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6254 / 51°37'31"N
Longitude: -0.1691 / 0°10'8"W
OS Eastings: 526832
OS Northings: 193428
OS Grid: TQ268934
Mapcode National: GBR CW.B1C
Mapcode Global: VHGQD.0DYT
Entry Name: St James's Primary School
Listing Date: 26 October 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488361
Location: Barnet, London, N20
Electoral Ward/Division: Totteridge
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St James the Great Friern Barnet
Church of England Diocese: London
31/0/10409 FRIERN BARNET LANE
St James's Primary School
Former St James's Parochial School. 1853. By Edward and William Gilbee Habershon. Gothic Revival school with attached teacher's house. Pebble-dashed exterior with Portland stone dressings, yellow brick chimney stacks, tiled roof. Street front with central gabled porch flanked by four-light Gothic windows with gauged brick arches; porch has an arched opening with arched plan door beyond, hood mould, moulded stone kneelers, a stone shield inscribed BOYS above, and triangular windows to sides. Gable to right containing triple-light window. Right hand return with porch (similar to that on front) and a three- and a four-light window either side of a chimney stack. Two-storey range to left containing former teacher's house with paired lights to ground floor with hood-mould, single light to first floor; return on left side with arched doorway surmounted by single light above; paired lights to ground floor on left surmounted by two lights to first floor. Tall paired chimney stack at north end of roof ridge' slightly lower projection at north end. Rear elevation has a belfry, twin gables with hood-moulded windows within and Gothic lights; mid C20 addition to rear of lesser interest. INTERIOR: few original features survive in situ. Double-height roof to main classroom has lowered ceiling, concealing exposed rafters shown in early photographs. Moulded consoles still visible. HISTORY: this school replaced a charity school of 1809, and was built at the same time as the Habershons' remodelling of St James's church. The school was closed in 1975 and then became used as a nursery school; a plaque in the rear extension records its re-opening as such in 1977 by the then-MP for East Finchley, Margaret Thatcher. The school is a picturesque composition, in the pre-Puginian phase of the Gothic Revival, and is constructed of self-consciously local building materials. It possesses good group value with the adjacent Lawrence Campe almshouses to the west. See S. Gillies and P. Taylor, 'Finchley and Friern Barnet' pls. 82-83.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings