This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4339 / 51°26'2"N
Longitude: -0.1632 / 0°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 527777
OS Northings: 172147
OS Grid: TQ277721
Mapcode National: GBR D8.KJK
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.4722
Plus Code: 9C3XCRMP+HP
Entry Name: The Kings Head Public House
Listing Date: 24 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065499
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207161
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Tooting
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Tooting St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
UPPER TOOTING ROAD SW17
No 84 (The Kings Head public house)
1896 by W M Brunton, a prolific designer of public houses. Perhaps his masterpiece and his least altered interior. Florid symmetrical composition; brashness of detail typical of late 19th century gin palace.
Red brick with stucco ornamentation. Slate roof.
Central portion three windows three-storeys, steep hipped roof rising to a dome. Large decorated lucarne over second floor windows, bears inscription "The Kings Head". First floor three pairs of French windows open on to verandah with iron balustrade and ogee roof. Ground floor splayed bay with entrance to bar. Flanking portion each side two-storeys plus mansard with pointed dormer behind balustrade. Wings each side 1 1/2-storeys, one window, ramped parapet pierced by a bull's-eye window on the left. Right wing a facade only; first floor window is blank with inscription "Rebuilt 1896".
Interior rich with cut brilliant glass, patterned tiles and wrought iron.
Listing NGR: TQ2777772147
Other nearby listed buildings