This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.365 / 51°21'53"N
Longitude: -0.1645 / 0°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 527878
OS Northings: 164477
OS Grid: TQ278644
Mapcode National: GBR DD.Z1C
Mapcode Global: VHGRK.3YDH
Plus Code: 9C3X9R7P+X6
Entry Name: The Greyhound Inn
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206783
Location: Sutton, London, SM5
Electoral Ward/Division: Carshalton Central
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Carshalton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
The Greyhound Inn
TQ 2764 SE 20/75 16.3.54.
Right hand part apparently early C19, but probably a remodelling of an earlier
building. 2 storeys, stucco, 3 sash windows, the centre one on full height 3-storey
projection beneath Dutch gable. Quoins. Central Jacobean style feature enclosing
doors and window with pilasters, cornices and strapwork ornament. Quoins to
wings, modillion cornice, parapet, old tile roof. Dutch gable also to right
hand return. Projecting portion to left is C18, painted weatherboarding, 2 storeys.
4 sash windows to ground floor with old panelled shutters, 1st floor has 2 large
overhanging canted sashed bays. Dentil eaves cornice continued round bays.
Tile roof with hip to right.
A list of voluntary rate payers for October 1707 refers to "John Watson at the
sign of the Greyhound".
The Greyhound Inn, wall to east of the Greyhound, Church of All Saints, North
Churchyard wall and Nos 6 and 12 (Coach and Horses) form a group with Anne Boleyn's
Well, St Mary's and Madeley Cottage in Church Hill and with the following items:
with No 1 High Street and entrance gates to The Grove, with road bridge, Leoni
bridge, culvert and retaining walls to Carshalton Ponds and with Honeywood Lodge
and walls, Honeywood Walk and The Gate House.
Listing NGR: TQ2787864477
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings